• Register Today It's free!

Leaking coolant...

jlgray81

Reaction score
City, State
Columbia, Tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 EB Explorer
About a week ago around 8pm I started up my vehicle to let it warm up. When I pulled out of the driveway I noticed a BIG wet area that had started to run. Got out to check what this was. It was coolant. Checked overflow tank and it had dropped dramatically. (it was about 10 degrees that night) Today I checked the overflow and noticed it was back down low again. So I added about a quart of water to it and went to autozone and purchased some coolant. Got back to the house, shut off vehicle, looked under it and noticed it was leaking (before adding the coolant). I've overlooked the radiator area and water pump. No signs of leakage. From what I have noticed it is leaking somewhere near the back of motor area?? Its leaking off the transmission which leads me to believe that its coming from the back side/firewall area. ANY suggestions on where to look? The lady of the house is going to shoot me if I continue to have leaks in the driveway.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like the upper and lower thermostat housing, a quick search will give you the pics and replacement steps along with video. It's not too bad, just be easy with the 3 bolts on the lower housing.

Thanks guys. Just went out to find where the leak is coming from. Under the black covering (I don't know the correct name) over the motor I noticed some standing fluid on the back passenger side. So I'm about to take it off and see what I find

Theres a 3/4" bypass cap on the very back passenger side. That seems to be where it was leaking. I pulled it off and there was about a 1/2" crack. Looked to be dry rotted. Replaced it and so far everything is fine.

Back