Leaking green fluid onto engine block | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Leaking green fluid onto engine block

FloridaState

Reaction score
City, State
Tallahassee, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 4x4
Hey guys, sorry for my lack of posting but I've been crazy busy with work and school.

Anyways, lately I've been noticing a lot of smoke or steam coming from the front of my truck whenever I stop somewhat sudden...it's been really cold lately (20s-30s at night) so I thought maybe it was just because it was so cold, so my exhaust smoke was blowing up to the front due to me stopping short. But the other day I came out of the gas station and noticed smoke or steam coming from my hood...opened it up and I could hear a sizzle, as if something was dripping. Turns out there's some fluid leaking and hitting the engine block, which I assume is causing the smoke.

I took a few pictures, and I was going to do a video of it but when I got home, the drip was gone. So it seems like it only does it when I first start driving, then goes away as the truck warms up or something. I noticed it tonight when I started the car and starting driving, but then when I got back home (after 15-20 minute drive) the drip was gone.

2011-11-13221835.jpg

2011-11-13221817.jpg

2011-11-13221922.jpg

2011-11-13221903.jpg

Any ideas? I know little about all this..but the drip appears to be coming from underneath the round black thing, and it's green. You can even see the steam a little in the last picture from (I assume) it hitting the engine block.

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your heater control valve is leaking...

Time to replace it before it blows up and drains coolant everywhere...Mine leaked just a bit less than yours so I ignored it and it went all over the engine one fine day...

Time to replace it before it blows up and drains coolant everywhere...Mine leaked just a bit less than yours so I ignored it and it went all over the engine one fine day...

Ahh, that explains it. When I got home I had turned off the heat, that's why it wasn't leaking anymore.

I live in Florida....why is my heater broken!?! It rarely gets used! :mad:

That's the heater control valve that's dripping. I agree, replace it before it strands you somewhere. There's another thread (recent) about not being able to get a good one from the parts store. Go to Ford.

Thanks for the responses, guys.

I'm starting to really hate this truck! I still haven't figured out what the hell is making the engine run lean, now I get this. On top of the suspension making godawful noises. I can't catch a break!

Any idea how much time/money this would cost to fix? Can I avoid fixing it by just not using the heater?

Just not using the heater will not fix this leak. Coolant is always flowing in this loop, the valve just decides if the heater core sees the flow or not. The part is 20-30 bucks or so. Not a huge job by itself You'll need so pliers to get the clamps off the hoses, and verify the hoses are sound and not leaking.

Heater control valve is plastic on a decades-old vehicle...

Ahh, that explains it. When I got home I had turned off the heat, that's why it wasn't leaking anymore.

I live in Florida....why is my heater broken!?! It rarely gets used! :mad:

Ford designed that valve for cost reduction back when the truck was built...They did not design it to last forever...Heatfrom the engine, heat from the coolant flowing through it, uv rays, all add up to its demise...

And I can't agree why someone could not find a heater control valve... They are readily available from Autozone and other outlets... I bought one from Autozone and never looked back... It worked fine and I guess if someone did not install it properly it will leak...

I would recommend replacing the hoses from and to the heater core at the same time...

Just another thing to cost me money that I don't have. Fantastic.

Could be worse, I guess.

Thanks for the help, though. I'll try and get on this as soon as I can.

Back