Leaking oil and Tranny fluid....Maybe? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Leaking oil and Tranny fluid....Maybe?

Dorsky01

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, Oh
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Eddie Bauer
Hey Yall...
I have a 93 explorer with the 6 cyl auto trans. The vehicle has 187k on it and runs great. The vehicle has been so good to me over the past few years i cant even bring myself to trade it in on cash for clunkers lol. I am having a few small problems though.

When shifting into reverse it seems to CLUNK..(shift hard). If i add tranny fluid it will stop for a little while. Yet the fluid seems to leak and a few days later it is low on the dipstick again. The tranny is not leeking a noticeable amount of fluid so i cant seem to find where the fluid is going.

I am seeing alot of some kind of fluid on the bottom of the vehicle most noticeably around the oil drain plug. I do not think the truck is leaking oil because my levels are not down and the pressure is good.

If anyone has any ideas about this i would really appreciate your help..

Thanks alot

Matt

The transmission clunk is a common problem for all a4ld transmissions. It's not a bad thing, but it is a little annoying. The way to minimize that is to come to a full stop, put it in reverse and just let the engine idle you into the reverse gear. Don't give it any gas.

Check your vac tree for tranny fluid. It could be going there. Also when are you testing the fluid, with the engine hot or cool?

I have the reverse clunk too. Even if I let it come to idle and put it in reverse like 1/20 time it slams it home like no other.

Could be the tranny or Ujoints.

Back