leaky abs - | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

leaky abs -

subman

Reaction score
City, State
Whittier, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1st off - 91 Explorer, 2WD, manual,v-6, rear only abs.
A few months ago, son-in-laws Explorer kept getting the abs light and locking the rear wheels. We ended up disconnecting the wiring harness and he's been driving without for a while. No big challenges. Tonight he informs me that he has been having to add brake fluid at least once a week for sometime and there is always a small puddle of brake fluid under the master cylinder. Long story shot, there is a huge leak at the rear of the abs unit at a large plug looking thing at the top rear. Finances for him are real tight, so a new abs (about $180.00) is probably out of the question.
So now the questions. . .1) if I bypass the abs altogether, what other challenges might he face. 2) if we could find a unit at the local pick a part, what should we look for to insure it will work. 3) is it possible to rebuild a unit on my bench at home and is there detailed instructions somewhere.
Thanks in advance
Subman

what did you get stabbed? ??? hahaha.. get it.. leaky abs.. ?haha.

Check with your Ford dealer. I bought a rebuilt unit for my '92 for about $120. When my RABS valve went bad, I had back brakes, but the fronts didn't work right.

As far as bypassing the RABS valve, I'm not sure (someone else can answer) but it may also act as a proportioning valve???....I don't remember, it's been a few years since I traded my '92 in.

Back