Leaky Rear Diff | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Leaky Rear Diff

Thanks for the feedback. I might see about getting the vent and doing it myself. I'll get under there tomorrow to see how big of a leak it is. Service manager said it wasn't a big leak, but something to look into in the near future.

As for the PTU, I might give them a call and see how they plan on doing it. I know it should be done.

I crawled under the rear yesterday and checked out the rear vent. Basically there's enough "leaking"(more like venting) to attract dirt to the rear diff cover. Not even close to dripping. I wiped it down a little bit and we'll see how it looks in a little while.

If I do need to change it, it should be easy to access. The only thing that might be difficult is clearance for my arm and tools.

FYI - The diff fluid change is $179.99 and the rear vent is $179.95. If they are changing the fluid when they do the vent, seems like a better deal to me to have them change the vent. :)

I'm betting those are separate. When they replaced my vent under warranty they wouldn't do a fluid change except for customer pay so they'll probably try to get you both ways.

Back