LED DRL, Fog and Positioning Lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED DRL, Fog and Positioning Lights

Hello Members,

to make my Ford Explorer street legal in Germany it is mandatory to have white positioning lights at the front.

Unfortunately the Explorer doesn't support these.

The previous owner used the side markers and placed them in the front light housing, where they will put out white light. Unfortunately this position was for LED Police flasher and the heat of the bulb melted the housing of the front light.

My wife and me decided to use another opportunity and replaced the original Halogen Fog lights in the Bumper with LED Fog lights, including white LED positioning light and LED DRL.

My wife made some modifications to the bracket which holds the OEM Fog light and I modified the electrics. I grabbed the “ignition on” signal for the DRL directly at the fuse box. For the positioning lights I used the side marker wiring and put an extra wiring and finally the fog light and ground signal was already at the bumper. I only cut the wiring and added a new connector.

Attached the pictures and a video. Starting with positioning light, fog light + pos. light, DRL and finally ending with pos. light.

http://www.querys.de/Explorer/VIDEO.mp4

I used the 90mm HELLA 1N0 011 988-011 lights and bought them on amazon
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0137F5WPW

5A38F3D2-0C86-42FF-BE33-47293AC7E35E.JPG
9237E1E9-B352-49F0-B156-FD21A7A69643.JPG
IMG_7268.JPG
IMG_7269.JPG
IMG_7287.JPG
IMG_7288.JPG

IMG_7337.JPG

IMG_7339.JPG

IMG_7340.JPG
IMG_7341.JPG
IMG_7342.JPG
IMG_7343.JPG
IMG_7344.JPG

7275FE58-5DA3-4468-933C-A7724EE15D8A.JPG

This is the original Fog Light

BB1AE2BB-A574-4C01-9CEF-A89BE91F36E1.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello Members,

to make my Ford Explorer street legal in Germany ]
Nice!! thanks for posting this, imported 2012 limited to Lithuania, after got delivered realized that ex headlights dont have white position lights with e a 02 marks! Will order hella 3in 1 fog's.
Maybe you can tell how you grabbed "ignition on signal" in fuse box, where do i search it? how is fog lights ? are they bright in real life?

The fog lights are very good but I do not use them very often because it’s not very foggy where I life.
I will post a picture of the fuse box but it is quite obvious. The +12V ignition runs on a fuse rail and the last one was free. I had to put the fuse on the rail and the cable on the other side.

Thx for answer, picture would be nice, have one more question about rear fog light , did you install rear fog light, or in Germany its not mandatory by law?

It’s mandatory to have it
Have a cheap separat light installed under the bumper and connected it somewhere at the front light switch but I cannot remember in detail

@Querys , by the way maybe there is good place in germany for suspension parts ? looking for abs sensor , any suggestions where to look in europe ? : ]

I would try two ways.
1st: rockauto.com search for the suitable sensor and check pricing and part numbers. Usually they have a correlation of the part numbers and models. Maybe an Europe Model has the same sensors
2nd: Check on ford.7zap.com for part number

Thx for answer, picture would be nice, have one more question about rear fog light , did you install rear fog light, or in Germany its not mandatory by law?

Finally the pictures of the fuse box.
The ignition +12V ist already on the metal bracket, but you need a cable and a pin on the other side to fit on the other side of the fuse. You will see it once you work on the fuse box.

E7B4F440-CA54-4C7C-87F0-F3B406DE39DC.jpeg

CCC95F78-2DDB-4395-B82C-33546CA8FBF9.jpeg

@Querys, thanks ! got lights shipped to me, will try to set them up this weekend !

Back