Lesson Learned Today About Rear Indicators.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lesson Learned Today About Rear Indicators....

JFUSION

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
Today I was in a parking lot I hit reverse to get into a parking space and then pulled ahead to straighten out a bit better . My rear camera stayed one (delay feature), and I ended up rolling backwards in neutral. The indicators did not warn me of the vehicle distance behind me because I was in neutral, luckily I stopped before I got too close while watching the camera. I didn't realize I was in neutral rather than reverse and it was rolling because of the incline.

One lesson learned today, always put it in reverse if you are going to rely on the rear sensors and camera, dumb mistake almost cost me. :scratch:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Life teaches us something everyday

The camera is just a guide and does not relieve you from knowing your surroundings when parking. Use it as a reference only

The camera is just a guide and does not relieve you from knowing your surroundings when parking. Use it as a reference only
My sensors have recognized a person walking in a blind spot more than once. On one occassion I checked around and saw everything was clear. Put it in reverse and a warning sounded almost immediately and I hit the brakes. Turns out someone had just stepped out of their car. I find them extremely reliable. Now let's see how well they continue to function during the Winter.

i think the lesson he's talking about that he learned, is that the sensors don't come on when in neutral and rolling back.....the sensors obviously only come on when actually in REVERSE.

you all aware that theres a window back there to look through?

you all aware that theres a window back there to look through?
There are also blind spots and some things that are too low to see through the back window (kids, dogs, grocery carts etc). Also, you can't just focus on looking out of the back window when reversing. You have to be aware of your surroundings and they can change instantly.

I try to be very careful looking before I back out of a parking space, but the alarms have saved me from close calls several times. When cars are driving in a parking lot, they never slow down when they see someone starting to pull out, even if they can see that their view is blocked by a truck or van beside them.

Yeah when backing towards a small passenger car the rear window is inferior to what you can view through the camera. I think it is actually safer as you can see the bumper edge.

Back