Lets try this again....97 X popping under feet | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lets try this again....97 X popping under feet

EliteConcept

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
LaPorte, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Civic LX
Ok so i thought i had this at the sway bar end links but the noise / popping thud type deal has returned.

when i go over bumps, pretty much any size i get this hallow clunk sound, i can feel a slight vibration on my feet, and in the streering wheel. It still has stock shocks with 58,000 miles on them. I suspect these are the cuplrits. I got under my truck and shook it slightly, i heard a Creaking noise, very simliar to a creaking bed (you all know the noise i'm speaking of) ;) anyways i was wondering if this is normal....or are my shocks shot?

would a bad lower ball joint cause this? i think i have a bad one of those as well

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

anyone?

Since your shocks need to be replaced anyway, try those first. Although shocks typically don't make loud noises. I would guess it's more of a balljoint issue. Mine started to clunk, then they got progressively worse and started to squeek when going over bumps and turning.

Most likely the lower ball joints.

i have a 92x and i have a hollow clunk/popping type noise right under my feet when i go over uneven surfaces..

same thing you think?
not the radius arm bushing?

Basically it could be almost anything, but the things listed above are good places to start.

Anywhere there is a rubber bushing or connection this can happen. This includes almost every chassis component and even the body mounts.

i have a 92x and i have a hollow clunk/popping type noise right under my feet when i go over uneven surfaces..

I would say that is the RA Bushings.

man thats alot of possibilites then :(

There are NO radius arm bushings on 95+ Explorer since they converted to the IFS, so no worries there. I suspect ball joints or shocks.

i think someone with a 92 had a simliar problem,

THnaks though

Back