LHD Lights in the UK

sparks1061

Reaction score
City, State
Helsinki Finland
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
Hi, Does anyone know of a supplier who will ship LHD headlights to the UK,
I have a RHD car but need to fit LHD lights before moving to Finland and UK ford dealers want to charge a small fortune to supply them

Thanks for any information.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry that I can't give much help, but may I ask what the difference is?

more than likely the way the light gets dispersed.

maybe someone can get to the junk yard for ya.

In the UK the headlights on low beam have a flat cut off towards other drivers but with a "kick" up of the beam on the right hand side to illuminate the sidewalk & road signs further ahead. Much better defined beam pattern than US DOT type patterns with less dazzle for on-coming drivers and improved visibility of the road ahead.
The European headlights do the same thing but on low beam the "kick" is to the left for the same reasons.
In either case the high beam is more penetrating over distance.

Thanks for the replies guys, and Zulu that was a very nice outline of the differences, I didn't even realise that the Headlights used in the US were different from the European Spec.

Cheers

Dave

Up until recently the US DOT mandated (I'm told) that a certain percentage of the light forward had to go up to illuminate the road signs etc. to eliminate the need for lights on each. This means that in poor weather such as fog or drizzle your own lights are working against you. Having driven behind 100 watt British "flat top" dipped head lights (and never had other drivers flash me ) the 45 watt US spec came as a shock! The beam pattern of the US halogen bulbs reminded me of the old British pre-halogen days just a little less yellow.
If any of you can, check out a Brit/Euro halogen bulb. You will find a plate below the dip filament to prevent any light from reaching the lower portion of the reflector. (Which would be reflected up.)

I run US lights here in the UK. They are aimed with the adjustment screws so not to blind the oncoming drivers. In the UK shops they sell these stickers you put them on the UK lights when you go to Europe, so you don't blind them there. The Explorer passes MOT each year without problem. My other car I could not properly adjust, but I have place the stickers on them. Without em, the other drivers were always flashing me. Of course, all my lights seem so dim here...thus the added lights. Oh by the way, do you have front fog lights and a rear red fog light(s) and amber indicators? These will be required to pass MOT.

A lot of VW guys switch to "e-code" headlight assemblies and get about 30% more light. My US spec VW lamps are so much better than the Explorer lamps that I'm happy with them, plus I'm getting aux fog and driving lamps in the future.

Back