Lift Shocks

XplorerKid

Rolling on 37"s
Reaction score
City, State
Winter Haven Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Xplorer
Ok think i bout got the jeep sold, have a guy wanting to fly out and look at it, hes already planinng shipping and all that...

Onto my ?, Ive been searching but cant find my answer. What is some part numbers for lifted shocks for the 2nd gen explorers? 2wd if it matters. If i have to ill run Superlifts, Rather not though. Anyone have any experience with this? I ask Boomin, but i cant remember what he told me. a 4" lift Shock would be fine. Im not really gunna be offroading it(atleast not for a year or so when it will be getting a SAS prolly) so i jsut need a shock thats gunna ride decent. If theres a thread about this, that i just totally missed even though i searched, please point me into the direction of it...

Thanks

-Caleb

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I gave boomin part #'s for a Trailmaster 4" shocks:

front: 65530-SS or 75530-SSV
Rear: 65540-SS or 75540-SSV
Lateral: 62770-SS or 72770-SSV

Here's Superlifts (did not see anything about a lateral shock):

Front: 85331
Rear: 85151

The Trailmaster SSV's are what I have:

attachment.php

Here's Superlifts: (I also noticed no lateral shock)

6981.jpg

Hope this helps!

-Drew

EDIT: for those who don't know what a lateral shock is, it's the one in my picture behind the regular shock. It's for axle twist when you put the transmission from P to D or R!

That 5th shock is not for axle wrap. Every thing I've read said it's for controlling vibrations at certain speeds. I got rid of mine years ago (since the springs and 31's went on) and never noticed a thing. Not really necessary IMO.

little stiff, but they're okay for right now. I may get some ranchos or superlifts in the future. I still believe that lateral shock is for when you are shifting.

-Drew

Well today, I removed my 5th shock (lateral shock) thinking it was a cause of a squeek (found some rust around it). Anyhow; I removed it and found the squeek to be from else where so I felt "hey - why keep it in?"... so I got in the truck and put it from P the R and noticed a HUGE difference. The truck twisted and the drivetrain felt like it was at a bind. I didn't like it at all. From P to D it wouldn't be that noticeable, but from P to R or from D to R it was very noticeable. I put the shock back in and the problem was decreased/minimized a good amount. So - with my own studies and conclusion; I say that 5th shock/lateral shock is for axle twist while changing gears. Now, I'm not saying it's FOR axle wrap - but I'm sure if I would of driven it with the 4.56's it would of jerked my truck around and put maybe more stress on the angles of my driveline in the rear. Just my thoughts though.

-Drew

do you need longer laterl shocks or are the stock ones okay? I would think the stock would be okay but just thought I would ask to be sure. If it matters all I have is AAL 2" shackles and a 3"BL (not that the BL matters)

Sounds like a trans problem to me. That 5th shock is in there for vibrations caused at hiway speeds from what I recall. I'd get that reverse gear checked out before it gets worse. You said that putting the 5th shock back in LESSENED the problem, but if the problem was never there to begin with, it sounds like a coincedence that it happened after you took that shock out. Good luck...

Back