Slow Motion Project 92

unometooo

Reaction score
City, State
Stockbridge, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XLT
Slow Motion Project 92 4wd Conversion and More

So, lets start in the beginning. A few years back when I was rather poor (not much has change) my wife was driving her Accord home. A rabid insane deer jumped in front of her and she wrapped her Accord around a telephone pole. She was ok other than a few bruises from the air bags and the rabid deer lived to terrorize other motorist another day. A friend of mine had a 92 Explorer sitting behind his garage that had literally been sitting two years.

IMAG0141.jpg

This is what I started with

IMAG0142.jpg

The Ex didn't have much going for it other than the trans was rebuilt about a year before it was parked. It had no back brakes (explains the front end damage), no air conditioning and the power windows wouldn't roll up and down. I threw the mustang wheels and tires on it because the ones that were on it were bald and dry rotted. I'm not complaining because it was free and it passed Georgia emissions after sitting two years with two year old gas.

Back brakes: I tracked the problem down to a bad valve under the driver side floor board and replaced it. Pow, back brakes fixed.

Windows not working: Thanks to this forum, I was able to replace all the window motor bushings and what do you know? Windows roll up and down.

Air Conditioning: Spent lots of money on Rock Auto and replace every single piece of the A/C system with 94 Ex parts. Condenser, Dryer, Hoses, Compressor, Evaporator, etc, etc, thanks to this forum again. Nice and Cold A/C!

IMAG0157.jpg

So at this point I have and Ex with windows that work, A/C that works, and brakes that work. Now I want wheels, tires, and a fixed front end. I make my way to the local bone yard and pick up a few things and start tearing down the front end.

IMAG0151.jpg

Now, its time to put it back together.

IMAG0152.jpg

Starting to look pretty decent, but if you notice the front wheel on the ds is cambered way out on the bottom. My son had recently ran it off the road and bent something bad because it took a 3 degree camber bushing to straighten out the wheel. I check with an alignment shop and they told me the spindle was bent or the I-Beam. Now is when the real fun starts, I figure I can go ahead and drop the twin I-beams and put in a 4wd front end. I start checking the forums and everyone say, its not worth it or impossible, but I did find where someone did it. Saturday morning I went an hour away and picked up a D35 out of a 94 4.0 Ranger with 3.73's. Drove home with it in tow on my trailer.

IMAG0081.jpg

Tear down time again!

IMAG0078.jpg

out with the old

IMAG0079.jpg

IMAG0082.jpg

in with the newer

IMAG0083.jpg

IMAG0084.jpg

IMAG0087.jpg

IMAG0086.jpg

So, after running down the parts and about four hours in the garage, I had managed to drop the old axles out and slap in my new D35. Quick test drive revealed bad wheel bearing and poor alignment. Went to the parts store first thing this morning picked up the bearing, slapped them in and dialed the alignment in pretty dang good with a tape measure. Went to the car wash and washed the blue of the new tires, and going to the alignment shop first thing in the morning. Still have a long way to go. The yard that I sourced the axle from has a manual ranger transfer case and he is going to hold if for me until I can pick it up next weekend.

Here is what is left to do and I will do my best to share the rest of the project with you, but it will take some time.

Install 4wd tranny and transfer case

Source and install 3.73 rear end

Source and install bush guard

Paint

Way, way down the road, source and install 5.0

Wanted to give credit to member/moderator MrQ for great write up on the 4wd conversion and his thread

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292320

Thanks for tuning in and a big giant thank you to this forum for all this great info.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yo! Your pictures aren't working. But good luck on the Explorer project! These are GREAT vehicles once you get their maintenance up!

progress you edited in looks great, you should get a set of manual hubs though, the auto hubs on these trucks are terrible. Did you use wheel spacers to fit the 2nd gen wheels? they looks good on the truck, i have also seen people use 3rd gen rims which also looks pretty sweet. the stock 1st gen rims really date them, the newer wheels give it a nice little refresh.

progress you edited in looks great, you should get a set of manual hubs though, the auto hubs on these trucks are terrible. Did you use wheel spacers to fit the 2nd gen wheels? they looks good on the truck, i have also seen people use 3rd gen rims which also looks pretty sweet. the stock 1st gen rims really date them, the newer wheels give it a nice little refresh.

I had to use one inch wheels spacers on the front when I had the Mustang wheels on it, but the 2nd gen Explorer wheels didn't require a spacer. I do plan on upgrading to manual hubs when its all said and done. Manual transfer case and manual hubs are the way to go I've read.

yea i did the manual hub swap and i like ti so far, kind of a pain to get out and turn the hubs when you are in a bunch of mud or parked on teh side of a busy road but i havent had any trouble with them so far and the auto hubs i had when i got it were broken and the previous owner went through about 8 hubs before me.

How similar are our first gens to Rangers? The reason I ask is because the manual transfer case I am picking up this weekend doesn't have a boot for the shifter. I wonder if a boot from a Ranger from the 80's or early 90's would work.

They should be the same....most everything else is....project looks good by the way!

89-93 Rangers are the most similar to 1st gens The seats were a direct swap so I'd look for one from those years since the floor boards would be pretty close.

Thanks! More pics to come today, I am going to pick up the transfer case and I am stripping all the body parts off of my sons 90 ranger that creamed a deer and putting it back together with new and used parts.

Picked up my manual 1354 today for $150. It came off a Ranger from up north I assume because the frame was rusted in half. It's gonna need to be cleaned up, but it does turn freely. The owner of salvage yard I purchased this transfer case at said in all of years of dealing with Ranger parts that this was the first manual transfer case he has seen in a Ranger.

IMAG0101.jpg

Looks like a cool project , I'm not too far from you down in Griffin , and I work in Jonesboro , hope to see this riding around sometime , you will see mine I'm sure ! .

Cool Bruce, hope to see you around sometime.

I was at Pull A Part this morning searching for parts for my son's 90 Ranger and I came across a 93 EB 4x4 with major front end damage. My thought is that it was running until it rear ended something so I am going to go for the tranny in the next weekend or two.

Cool Bruce, hope to see you around sometime.

I was at Pull A Part this morning searching for parts for my son's 90 Ranger and I came across a 93 EB 4x4 with major front end damage. My thought is that it was running until it rear ended something so I am going to go for the tranny in the next weekend or two.

Nice , sounds like a plan , I'm going to try and make it to the one off moreland here in the next week or two

Just to be clear, you started with a 2x4 twin I-beam front end and swapped in a 4x4 IFS front end, correct? Just making sure cause I was actually trying to go the opposite way on my '94 project (4x4 IFS to 2x4 twin I-beam) and all the info I came across was that that wasn't just a "bolt off/bolt on" kind of swap. If that is the case though, then I will be on the hunt!

And nice progress, keep it up!

on edit:
I read this thread before I found your other thread where you provided a link to your inspiration thread. So by the looks of this it's just a matter of relocating the passenger beam pivot bracket as well. Sorry for the interruption, looking forward to the next update

Thread stealing my own thread here, but this was this past weekends project. We took the wrinkled front end of my son's 90 Ranger, core support and all and fixed it up with Sort-A-fit and bone yard parts.

IMAG0089.jpg

before (my son, he insisted on giving the thumbs up)

IMAG0092.jpg

during (53? Studebaker SBC blower motor in background)

IMAG01041.jpg

after

IMAG01031.jpg

had to get the Ex in the background;)

I will give my thread back to myself for now. I plan on going to Pull-A-Part weekend after next if money goes right and get the tranny out of the totaled 93 and a rear end with 3.73's out of a 95+ Ex. Thanks for tuning in.

Nice work! I've done the 2wd to 4wd swap before and didn't have any problems, keep it up!

Minor set back on the Ex coming this weekend. I noticed a water leak this morning and thought maybe the water pump went bad. I pressure tested and noticed it pissing water out of the intake gasket on the front of the passenger side head. So instead of going for the transmission this weekend, I will be pulling the intake and replacing the gaskets. Its a good time to go ahead and replace the leaky valve cover gaskets while I'm under the hood. I guess I will tough it out and drive the Impala to work for the next few days.
IMAG01051.jpg

Sweet Rides Man ! , Love the Impala ! Looking forward to seeing more progress , It inspires me to get outside and make the time for my stuff haha .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As I said before, I have a water leak on the intake gasket on the passenger side head. I spent a couple hours pulling the intake off so I can replace all the gaskets. Total bummer because it cost me $87 for the gaskets, $13 for the antifreeze, $23 for the oil and filter, $30 for a new water neck and thermostat. For $100 bucks and a day at the bone yard I could have had a 4wd transmission out of a totaled 93 Ex. So disappointed, I hope it will still be there and unmolested in a couple of weeks when I get my next chance to go again. But the good thing is, look how clean this thing is inside to have 280k on it.

IMAG01061.jpg

Back