Limited Chrome Rims Problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Limited Chrome Rims Problem

OverTheTop75

Reaction score
I went and had new tires put on and when they removed the weights the tool nicked the rims a bit. I was wondering if anyone has curb rash, scrapes etc.. and if the chrome started to peel off after that. They said they would be willing to replace 2 of the rims but I don't know if I should just ask for some money off since the damage is not that bad.

Thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Once the chrome is compromised the corrosion will start to take hold. Once it gets it's way in it will slowly flake the chrome up. I have some wheels int he garage off of a 2002 Mounty that are all flaked up from a liitle curb rash, and weight marks. On any rims I like I get the weights on the backs.

Once the clear coating is nicked, the nasty salt up here in the northern states -eats the chrome/aluminum away. Remember the early 80's cars with the chrome bumpers and aluminum brackets, steel bolts,salt and water would cause corrosive action and the bumpers would fall off ?

Once the clear coating is nicked, the nasty salt up here in the northern states -eats the chrome/aluminum away. Remember the early 80's cars with the chrome bumpers and aluminum brackets, steel bolts,salt and water would cause corrosive action and the bumpers would fall off ?

The rims are clad chrome so it is chrome on plastic not steel. So you think plastic chrome will do the same thing as steel chrome?

It seems that the chrome plating on Limited rims isn't too durable. I had a set of Limited rims and the chrome started peeling months after I purchased them, and they never saw a day of salty roads in their entire life.

Obviously the rims will not rust as the chrome is a plating on the plastic base. The question is whether or not a breach in the chrome plating will cause the plating to eventually peel further than the original nick. You may be the test case for us all. Let us know what happens to them. Someone else posted that in their experience the chrome didn't last long. It would help if that person posted more details of their situation; was the chrome nicked before it started to peel, how long did it take to get worse, is it still getting worse, etc.?
-Art

The rims are clad chrome so it is chrome on plastic not steel. So you think plastic chrome will do the same thing as steel chrome?

Well I did a little research and from what I can tell this is the company who makes the chrome clad for Ford. http://www.lacksenterprises.com/Auto_Wheel/AW_products.asp

Here is what they say

"Offering improved resistance to the elements, our chrome-clad wheels deliver superior impact performance, are highly resistant to dents and abrasions, and will not peel, pit or rust, thanks to a patented three-layer high-impact composite."

Any Companies they do the work for

"Over the years, our performance and capabilities have earned us loyal long-term relationships with such global automotive manufacturers as DaimlerChrysler, Ford, General Motors, Nissan, Toyota and Mercedes-Benz. It is a customer-focused approach that continues to drive the direction of Lacks Wheel Trim Systems as it rolls well into the new millennium."

So from reading above it sounds like the chrome should not get any worse even after a scrape, dent, chip etc..

It shouldn't but it does.

Back