Limited slip differential...where can I get one? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Limited slip differential...where can I get one?

skfullen

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 & 2000 Explorer XLS
Let's just say I've gotten older and wiser. I purchased my Explorer XLS, 4.0, new in 2000. Since then, every vehicle I own has been purchased with a LSD. The difference is beyond words. Where can I purchase a limited slip differential for my '00 Explorer that will just bolt up and what should I expect to pay?

Thanks in advance for the information!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any LSD that will fit in a 8.8" Mustang axle will work for the Explorer. I have a Ford Racing one in mine from a Ranger buddy. Just look in the classifieds or online. eBay has tons of 'em.

-Drew

Called Ford dealer today and was told upward of $500 just for parts. What gives? I'm thinking of just trying to find one in a junkyard.

skfullen said:
Called Ford dealer today and was told upward of $500 just for parts. What gives? I'm thinking of just trying to find one in a junkyard.

They don't call it the "Stealership" for nothing.

Well just my humble opinion, but you don't want a standard Ford limited slip (Trac Lock), they don't last too long. An Auburn will last almost forever.

Where, pray tell, do I get the Auburn? Is it easily installed by a fairly mechanical person who can replace alternators, water pumps, etc.?

Jegs? According to my out of date catalog they have a auborun limtied slip for the 31 spline 8.8 for 362.99

much cheaper and better than the trash loc

I see I can get an Aussie locker for around $240. Would that be a better option?

A locker would depend on what your using your truck for. Are you taking it offroad? If you are then a locker is a great upgrade. However, if your a street only guy a ls may be better since you won't chirp your tires going around corners and speed up possible tire wear. I think spindlecone has a locker in his st and he's a street guy so it all depends on what you want. Nice think about a locker is it doesn't have clutches that will wear out :D

Yea I have a PT, works for me, was not out at the time but I would go with the aussie, alot less money, same exact paddle tech

Unless you purchase an entire axle (like one out of a junkyard) nothing will just bolt-up. They will all require a proper set-up from a knowledgable mechanic.

As for sources, Randy's Ring and Pinion comes VERY highly rated by all of the major off-roading magazines. Any time I have an axle or gearing question, they have been more than helpful. They definately know their stuff!!

If your not a hard core off roader just jump on Ebay or your local pick and pull and find a 5.0L mustang and pluck the trac-loc from it, they work more than good enough for the average guy and you can easily rebuild them with more clutches.

Back