Limited Slip Differential? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Limited Slip Differential?

SR77

Reaction score
City, State
Central NJ
Can anyone tell me, with a 2wd drive train, does the new 2007+ Sport Tracs come with a limited slip differential in the rear? I live in NJ and to save some money I am thinking about getting a 2wd vs 4wd cause I think I will be fine for the weather we see, but for those few times it does snow i would like to have a limited slip rear to get more traction with both wheels. I looked on Fords website and brochure and nothing is mentioned about the rear diff. I even emailed Ford and they were worthless, but that story is for another time!! I really hope so, because if it doesn't then i will be shopping for another brand. I can't see spending $30k on a truck to have an old school open differential! If the 2wd doesn't have it do the 4wd ones come with it? My 96 explorer has a limited slip, but I can't find any thing that says the new Sports Tracs come with it. thanks for the help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Actually an open differential will behave somewhat better during normal driving in the snow and significantly better on ice than a limited slip as long as the vehicle has momentum.

The problem with limited slip, or any other non-selectable locker, is that it tries to force both wheels to spin at the same rate -- which tends to "push" the vehicle outside or straight during turns. The same is true off-road -- with a locker, the vehicle's turning radius increases as the rear wheels (which wants to go straight) fight the front turning wheels.

A few bags of sand in the back (to give the rear tires more grip) is probably the cheapest solution ;).

Very well said, locker rears can be hazardous for drivers who use too much power in turns. Hit the gas while still, pulling out in traffic in rain, round you go.

FYI, very few Fords come with traction lock rears, it is an option on almost everything though. If you want it, add the option. They should cost no more than about $25-50 used, they aren't that special.

For a real need for the special rear, try an aftermarket diff, I like the Zexel Torsen, if you can afford them. Good luck,

07+ Tracs have electronic traction control in lieu of a LS differential. There is no option for a LS in the rear.

Interesting, the Jaguar started that, I'm glad to hear that it is being used more.

Thanks for the replies

Thanks Adam, that what I was assuming. Unfortunately that's not what i want. Which it could atleast be an option. So for those of you that have used this electronic AdvanceTrac system, how well does it do in winter weather, mud etc.. Especially 2wd, will it help you from a start, or should this truck be avoided in 2wd for people that see all 4 seasons?

CDW6212R, I see that you have an aftermarket Zexel-Torsen diff. Did you install this yourself or did you have it installed. Is it difficult? If you got it done, do you mind saying how much it cost total for everything. While I do try to do what i can, I don't think I would feel comfortable tearing into the rear of my brand new 200? Sport Trac.

or should this truck be avoided in 2wd for people that see all 4 seasons?
Its not really about whether a vehicle can handle all 4 seasons -- its more about the driver. Most people do just fine in snow in their 2wd vehicles. Just slow down and take things easy. If you get stuck, thats perfectly okay -- its a lot better than going too fast and ending up in the hospital.

Get the 2wd, you'll be fine there in NJ.

The first system Ford used was on a Jaguar. What I saw in the program showed it taking off very well on packed snow. It did better from a start than the ABS did in stopping. Stopping is usually the biggest problem in Winter.

I did two of my Zexel Torsen diffs myself, they install just like any other differential. If the gears are not changed, then the only adjustment needed is the diff. side shims, to obtain the needed .009-.012 backlash. I have a third unit that I bought for my current work vehicle, I'll do it before Winter. You can buy quality diff. shim kits for about $30. The last one I was very fortunate with, my Mountaineer didn't need any shim changes, I hit .009 with the stock shims. Good luck,

Back