Limited Slip Question

ipozestu

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Mateo, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sportie
My Ex currently has an open Diff. I am not very fond of the one wheel spin or the one wheel burn out for that matter. There has got to be a way to get some more traction. Would installing a limited slip be worth it? What are the pros and cons? I don't do much off roading but I do frequent the snow in Tahoe quite a bit. Tell me what you think.
Thanks,
Jeff

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an Eaton limited slip and like it very much. It's a stout unit, a good value, and rebuildable. IMO a great option if you want an LS. No cons that I can think of, other than the fact that it's not a full selectable locker.

If you don't want to spin in the snow get the limited slip! Mine is factory and I love it! You can venture farther off than you normally would. No downside to it, its not like your puttin gin a spool or something limited slip is the way to go for every day drivability and reliable trustworthy off road traction

Bump

From what you said a LS would help you. I can't think of any real cons, just have a light foot on the gas in the snow. With the LS your rear end will torque steer on you.

By the way how do you like your yoko geolanders?

Hey Mike My question what do you mean by torque steer?
My Yoko's.... I like 'em a lot. They grab very well. When I go to Tahoe sometime they have chain restrictions and the tires handle better without chains. They a pretty quiet, but a little ridged because they are a LT rating. With a P rating they would probably be a little more forgiving.
Jeff

With a grippy LS if you hammer the throttle in low traction situations, both tires may lose traction and spin the vehicle counterclockwise. This happens to me all the time :D

However, if you know how to drive, this isn't a problem ;)

Originally posted by Alec
With a grippy LS if you hammer the throttle in low traction situations, both tires may lose traction and spin the vehicle counterclockwise. This happens to me all the time :D

However, if you know how to drive, this isn't a problem ;)

I don't know but it sure looks like you are saying that you don't know how to drive Alec:D

I was just thinking the same thing, but I don't have a blown 4.0, and heavy foot on icy roads. I get the drift on torque steer.
thanks
Jeff

ipozestu, is your X 4wd?

Hey Mike Sorry I didn't get back to you at Cardomain. No it's 2wd not a whole lot of wheeling goin' on here.

I know what Alec is talking about, I took my EX out in the snow with some friends, and whenever i gave it any gas the back end would wrench to the side, even if going straight. Was kinda fun though.

I know what Alec is talking about, I took my EX out in the snow with some friends, and whenever i gave it any gas the back end would wrench to the side, even if going straight. Was kinda fun though.
And that is due to the Limited slip huh? I don't know if that sounds good. But again as long as you can drive in the snow/rain it should be fine. I just want that traction to get me out of the snow/rain.

When I say "any" gas, i should have said floored it. Did I mention I have a turbo. normal X wouldn't have any problems i don't think.

In case you didn't catch my drift, this only happens to me when I want it to. I know how to control my truck, and just like to have a little fun sometimes.

Quick story, what the hell:
I'm driving on an empty freeway a few years ago; dark and wet, 3 lanes. I'm going about 80, the speed limit is 70. All of a sudden, a Porsche comes flying up behind me, never seen this guy before. He proceeds to hang on my ass for miles. Nothing I do gets him off my butt: slowing down, changing lanes, brake tap, nothing. So I decide to have a little fun. I slowed down a bit and then hammered the throttle. The truck rotated counterclockwise about 35 degrees and I was going sideways down the freeway, looking ahead through the passenger corner of the windshield. In a second or 2 I straightened the truck out and kept going. Needless to say, the Porsche driver backed off ;)

So yes, I know how to drive.

DISCLAIMER: Do as I say, don't do as I do ;)

A limited slip is what you want- it will drive and handle differently than an open diff. Any traction device that locks both shafts together is going to handle a little differently.

Even if you dont have a real powerful engine , if you break traction with your tires you can kick the rear end out, either accellerating or decellerating. Snow is very easy to have the tires break traction so its most noticable in the snow. A bit of time in a parking lot testing the vehicles response to various inputs will get you up to speed.

I would say a L/S is manditory for snow driving.

Good Luck.

Back