Location of a 1992 Ford Explorer 4 door transfer case electronic control module. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Location of a 1992 Ford Explorer 4 door transfer case electronic control module.

seedvisions

Reaction score
City, State
New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XLT 4DR 4X4
Hi,

just bought a 1992 Explorer XLT 4x4 4 door, it originally had an auto trans, now 5 speed manual.

It has the two 4x4 buttons on the dash 4x4 high works but 4x4 low does not (the light does not come on). I'd like to test the transfer case electronic control module, but can't locate it. I have an original FSM which shows the ECM and tells how to test but they don't say where to find it??

Thank You!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First off, to get into 4Lo on a stock manual (one that left the factory with a 5-speed), you have to satisfy the following conditions:

4Hi
Stopped
Transmission in neutral
Clutch pedal pushed to the floor.

Try that and see what you come up with. If the person who swapped out the auto did it correctly (5-speed ECM, neutral safety switch, etc.) then yours should operate the same way.

To answer your question, the electronic shift control module is located in the rear drivers side of the cargo area in the same compartment where the jack is. There's a panel with two black clips on it, unlock those and pull the panel off, the ESCM is going to be the black box with 3 wiring harnesses going to it that's near the front of the opening.

To test it, remove the two harnesses at the rear of the module then push the white button on the bottom of it and watch the LED - 4 flashes and you're good. Anything else and it's bad.

First off, to get into 4Lo on a stock manual (one that left the factory with a 5-speed), you have to satisfy the following conditions:

4Hi
Stopped
Transmission in neutral
Clutch pedal pushed to the floor.

Try that and see what you come up with. If the person who swapped out the auto did it correctly (5-speed ECM, neutral safety switch, etc.) then yours should operate the same way.

The red/ white wire to the shift computer should be grounded when in neutral and foot on the brake. That will allow it to shift into low.

Greetings all. I know this is a very old thread, but I'm not finding my answers anywhere else.

I have recently picked up a '92 Explorer Sport 4X4 with the 5 speed manual. I followed the instructions above to test the ESCM and it does blink 4 times. I've followed the instructions in my manual in an attempt to put it into 4X4 Hi and nothing happens. No noise from the transfer case and the lights on the dash buttons don't do anything.

Do anyone know what I should check next?
Thanks,
~Steve

First suspect would be the dash mounted switch, no lights+no action=bad switch methinks. Can probably get one at the boneyard for a few sheckles, but check for current to the switch first. If power is getting there but not activating switch, it's probably the switch.

Back