Center Console latch problem | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Center Console latch problem

I freakin' love E.F 🥰

I doubled the springs in my handle because yay overkill. Got 8 left if anyone needs them!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I could use a couple. I'll send a PM with address.

Thanks!

Problem already solved! ;)

I removed the second latch also and used instead two 30mm (1.18 inch) springs.
Just installed the armrest and it works better than new! :thumbsup:

Remove these two small plastic walls:
11344776rk.jpg

Removed:
11344778qf.jpg

Second latch removed and two springs added instead:
11344779nl.jpg

I know that this post is like... 9 years old. But, I just had the same problem with the broken plastic "spring" in my '07 Sport Trac. I used this repair advice and it works PERFECTLY! THANKS! Problem solved for less than $5.00.

I know that this post is like... 9 years old. But I just had the same problem with the broken plastic "fingers" on my '07 Sport Trac. I used this advice and it worked PERFECTLY! THANKS! Problem solved for less than $5.00.

Problem already solved! ;)

I removed the second latch also and used instead two 30mm (1.18 inch) springs.
Just installed the armrest and it works better than new! :thumbsup:

Remove these two small plastic walls:
View attachment 397732

Removed:
View attachment 397733

Second latch removed and two springs added instead:
View attachment 397734
I Bacar see pics of the springs you used- can u email me . Julie.baylor@att.net or can someone on here see all pics. And tell me how

Ive used two springs from medium size paper puncher.
Still working.

latch part no.

Latch: 6L2X-78045C74-A_P1A3

The latch and latch body have the same part no.
This is the long term answer to fix the problem.

Doug S.

Time for me to revisit this. I was using the zip tie fix for a while but noticed the latch was sitting crooked but was still latching. Decided to open it up and after some time, the good side finally snapped off along with a piece on the zip tie. I guess after a while, the zip tie plastic gets a little brittle.

I just wanted to let other folks know that Home Depot sells a pack of compression springs and the one set of springs are pretty close to the dimensions listed further back on this thread. The pack of springs was less than $5. Quick and easy fix, just pick a warmer day than I did to fix yours (It's like 20 degrees here in Pennsylvania).

I did try to set the springs in the most outside tracks at first, but once I put it all back together and slammed the lid shut, the springs popped out of the tracks. If you look at the lid portion, you can see the inner tracks have plastic support tracks to help keep the springs in place. So I just ended up moving them to where the factory plastic springy tabs were and Dremmeled out some the plastic within the track to help seat the springs in properly. Once everything was back together, it all came out as good as new.

20220115_151028.jpg
20220115_152326.jpg

Back