Lookin' for pictures of white face gauges | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lookin' for pictures of white face gauges

DangerRanger95

Reaction score
City, State
Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger
Hello,

I am looking for day and night time pictures of white face gauges for a 1995-2001 explorer. I was also wanting so help and information on a couple I have found. I'm looking at the APC gauges and some off of ebay called NU Image. These are the kind that you have to take the needles off and use the existing lights of the dash. How good are these? Are they hard to install? I've seen the overlay kind that uses another lighting and you have to wire them in....how good are they? I would like to see pictures and get some feed back if possible from you all that have put white face guages in. Thanks. You're help would greatly be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i use ones made by a company called alfa-otto, i could only find them at procarparts.com and they shipped me 2 wrong ones before i got the right one, but i think they are the best looking by far, i can get you pictures later tonight but here they are online

http://www.procarparts.com/ford-exp....html?osCsid=d8a1d7c1caff074eca3dac52c688b854

while you technically can slip these over the needles i found that the warning light licons didn't line up correctly, and being **** i actually removed the old face and used lighting gel to re-color the warning lights.

Ebay overlay on my old 99 sport. Not NU image however.. I went with NU for my Expedition gauges - they are good quality! I would reccommend them.

728977_80_full.jpg

NU gauges in my Expedition.

2446156_45_full.jpg

2446156_57_full.jpg

Both sets of gauges for me utilized the factory warning indicators, which after some work getting them just right looked great. The ebay ones came with a knob to turn them from blue to green. The NU came as you see them no adjustments. Just wire them into your factory dimmer switch and you'll retain the ability to dim. I had to take the needles off for both - and actually just got new ones for the expedition. It's not a bad install, just set aside a little time.

i got a set from speedhut (http://www.speedhut.com/custom_gauge_dial_products-auto-Ford.htm). so far there good. you can design what ever you want, and use what ever color for the back light that you want. they are a overlay, and i was able to put them on with out taking the needles off. that and they will also do them in MPH, KM/H, or both

20j5zrl.jpg

2juona.jpg

Thanks guys for the responses and pictures. So do all of these guages that you all used have to be wired into the dash, or is there a set that just uses the factory lighting and that's it? Meaning that you take your guage faces off or just lay the white one on top, and it uses the factory lights and that's it to shine through the new cluster?? If there is one like that, which one is it??

the ones that i have wire into your dimmer switch, and do not use the lighting from the factory cluster. the only part that uses the factory lighting are the pointers, and tripometer. they will dim with the rest of the lights when you wire it to your dimmer as well. you don't need to take the black face off your gauges, you just lay these over top of them.

dangerranger- have you seen where people have taken the white faced gauges out of an 01 or newer sport or sporttrac? i think they look very clean and much better than the black stock faces. and you can also snag the orange needles

I've installed the factory Sport gauges in both my Explorers. I wouldn't go any other way. Just swap your speedometer to the new gauge and you don't have to worry about mileage changes either. Even installing in a 95 was done by just thinking things through a bit.

Thanks for the information guys. I ended up going with the Nu image white face gauges. I really like the looks of them. Hey Davesexplorer, what kind of light bulbs are you using behind your Nu Image gauges in your expedition? Are they LEDs?? If so, where did you get them, and what's the part number? Thanks for all your help and pictures.

Back