Installed white face gauges and the odometer is reading 2x mileage... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installed white face gauges and the odometer is reading 2x mileage...

ranger7ltr

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Great State of Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Sport
I have a 99 Sport and finally got around to installing a white face gauge set from an 01 Sport i bought last year...Got it installed and the lights all work except the brake light[weird] but it does come on when I start the truck...

Anyway the biggest problem is the odometer... The speedometer reads a little fast thanks to shorter than stock tires on the truck.. no big deal like 5 mph fast across all speeds...But the odometer is reading almost twice the mileage!!!

I made a trip which was around 212 miles and the odometer registered over 400 miles...I had just over half a tank of fuel left and I didn't notice the problem until the next day...

Anyone have any thoughts? Every thing seems to work with the white face gauges but I will go back to black ones if i can't fix it..

Yeah- the black/white speedo and odometers are exactly the same, and are driven by electrical signal. Unless there is something really messed up with the cluster, it has to be something else...

My thoughts exactly...

Yeah- the black/white speedo and odometers are exactly the same, and are driven by electrical signal. Unless there is something really messed up with the cluster, it has to be something else...

Using the entire 01 cluster and gauges I got most of the lights not working...
So I kept the 99 cluster base and just put the white face speedo head and other gauges from the 01 cluster into the 99 cluster base... Got the lights working except the brake light with the parking brake...And got the speedo working fine and the odo reading 2x...

Is there a miles/km switch on the speedo head somewhere?

I am looking for the wiring diagrams for the clusters to see why my lights did not work with the 01 cluster...And I am going to re-pin the plugs from the 99 truck to the 01 cluster to get the dash lights working...Maybe that will fix the odo problem...

I am considering putting the black face gauges back into the 99 cluster and just not deal with the BS...And maybe going to white gauge face overlays instead...

Back