Looking at a 2006 V8 with 83k miles | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking at a 2006 V8 with 83k miles

brazzle

Reaction score
City, State
Tooele, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Eddie Bauer
Hi all,

I'm back after a long break. I used to have an '02 which I loved, but ultimately had to get rid of. I'm now looking at replacing my current SUV with something else, and was looking at an '06 V8 with 83k miles. It's about 11k and has a clean history, but not a lot of service records.

Although the '02 treated us pretty well, we ended up experiencing most of the common problems with that year. My big concern with the '06 is that I'll get it and have to drop $3k on a transmission rebuild shortly after. Is this still something that happens frequently? CarComplaints.com shows the transmission is still a problem area with that year, but it's not nearly at the level of the '02.

Any opinions or insights you guys can offer is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

B

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very uncommon for the 6r60 to go at 83k miles. They are good trannies.
I have an 06 with v8, mine has 205k miles with original tranny and it's still good, but I do fluid flushes regularly at the dealer. I replaced the motor at 200k miles, but it turned out unnecessarily, since the problem was a torque converter, and 2 shops could not diagnose it right. Now I have a good used motor in my garage :)
At 83k I would replace the sparkplugs right away and hope they come out intact, otherwise, it's more work.
What are you getting for 3k? A rebuilt tranny from Ford is 3000, so if they do a complete overhaul for that price, then it's not bad.

Thanks for the reply. I love hearing these successes. I think I got the $3k number as the average fix price for issues on CarComplaints.com. Not 100% sure what it covers.

One thing I did notice is that this particular Explorer does not have a tow package. I was a little surprised given that it is a V8, but I guess not everyone needs that capability. Is there any way to upgrade the towing capabilities?

My '06 V-8 has 93K miles on the original tranny which shows no signs of any faults.

On any tow package equipped Explorer, you get transmission cooler which helps either way in my opinion to extend the life of a tranny. You can add an external cooler from what I am hearing.

Why do you think you need a new tranny ? On those 6R units, sometimes all you need is the valve body assembly. What is it doing ?

Sorry, I may have worded things poorly. I don't know that it needs one, I guess I'm just trying to figure out if there's a good chance that if I buy this it will end up in the shop with an expensive repair bill in the next year or two. I loved my '02 but it had to have a number of repairs between 80-110k miles.

The way I look at it is the v6 units use 5r55 tranny that is also used in Mustangs. The v8 from 06-10 used 6R60/80 units also used later on in F150s and Expeditions. In most cases the 5R will be OK, but I look at it as a "car" transmission in a truck (sorry v6 owners) so expect accordingly.

Very interesting. Makes a lot of sense. That helps a lot! I'm going to go test drive it today!

I bought a used '06 about 6 months ago that had 129,000 miles on it and the transmission started giving signs of shuddering when in overdrive. I took it to a transmission shop and had them drop the pan and change the filter, then refill and that took care of it (so far). It also dropped out of OD twice while on the interstate.

I really like the truck and will probably replace the tranny, if need be, if it goes south. Right now, it needs a new power steering pump first. Plug change went okay, though I don't think the gap was done correctly. Only getting about 12mpg in town, which is 95% of the miles it gets.

Back