Looking at this for a project....any thoughts? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking at this for a project....any thoughts?

97xlt4.0

Soon to be exploring agai
Reaction score
City, State
Portland, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Hey everybody,

I came across this on the local CL last night....

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/1551188002.html

Thinking about about picking it up, fixing and having as a spare/second Ex to lift and play around with.

Think I'd be getting in over my head, or would it wind up not being worth the effort....?

-Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well.if you have the cash to play with then go for it.

If you have the mechanical skill to swap out an engine, why not? If that was around me I would jump on it.

yea sounds like a pretty good idea =] good project 2 door

looks like a V8 swap to me

get it get it now

It's worth more parted out, I'd buy it.

He said OBO too......

I made a few calls today, to see if i could get my hands on a trailer and a place to store it....haven't had much luck. Sucks, because i WANT that thing!!!

'Course, if i don't get it, i guess theres more than enough on my 4-door to keep me busy....

trailer? just get a buddy and a tow strap

place to keep it? have a driveway or a nearby empty parking lot?

I hadn't thought of an empty parking lot, but i'm sure i could find one!!! Gonna give a friend a call in the morning. I wonder if the towing coverage on my insurance could be used.....;-)

It's a long shot, and can't really tell from the ad.....but i'm fairly sure that it's not something simple that i could tweak and drive it home :-(

from reading it it sounds like the timing chain is stuck with the valves open... or at least thats my guess, so yeah no easy fix to get it home

but my dad and I pulled my explorer with the farm truck over 100 miles when the engine had a broke off spark plug (farm has more tools) and mine is a 4 door...

as long as you have a good strap and good pulling points and good brakes, you should be okay, GO SLOW and have your flashers on, blah blah blah

*edit* I now think its more likely a cam shaft issue

Yeah, it could well be a camshaft issue. I was kinda figuring it might be quicker to simply pull that engine out and put a used one in.....

I'm at least gonna go see it tomorrow and see how it looks in person.

Well, I went to look at it today, and it was already gone :-(

Not to worry, though....there's a couple others on the local CL i'm watching....the bug has taken hold!!

not surprised it went, I know a few people looking for inexpensive 4WD vehicles

yeah, hopefully one of the others will be left by the time i get my $$(waiting on a refund check....supposedly coming wednesday)

how did you get your refund so quick I haven't even gotten my tax forms yet

not a tax refund, its from something else;-)

Speaking of taxes, I can't wait for my stuff to show up so i can do those too!!

Back