looking for Explorer?? what to look for | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

looking for Explorer?? what to look for

BajaXplorer

Reaction score
City, State
San Marcos, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 2WD
Hello all- Im new to this list- Im looking for a used Explorer 95/96, V6 2WD(dont need 4WD) and wondering what sort of things I should be looking for? Wear points, engine problems, difficultly of maintenece etc. I do all my own maintenece

things Im looking at are :

* Oil changes on the 4L( is oil filter easy to get to does it dump all over suspension?)

* plug changes- Is there alot of stuff in the way to get plugs out?

* dealer parts- is there a source to get parts cheaper on the internet?

*On the 2WD, What year did they go to A-arms on the front instead of I-Beams?

* Are valve cover gaskets & rear main seals a weak point on the 4L?

* How are the auto trannies with bigger tires(31" max) & are the rears stock with 3.73 gearing?

* What other points should I be wary of when looking at a used Explorer?

* Any web sites I should go to to check more info on the Explorer?

Thanks all I appreciate it!!!!

Baja,
Welcome to the site. I can't offer much help on the 95+ 4x2's, but I can tell you there is no place else on the net with more info than right here!

Parts are readily available for the Ex's in numerous places. Stock gearing will vary anywhere from 3.27's to 4.10's. Look on the inside drivers-side door for a n axle code. From there you can find out what gears there are and if it is LS or not. I don't have the chart to reference the codes, but it is here somewhere.

Jon

Ok, if your oil filter is the same as the early models(which Im not quite sure) it should be a breeze..You could do a little trick I learned from this site,Punch a hole in it with a big 16 penny nail(or equivelent he he) and let it drain out first then unscrew your filter...the plugs?...gggguuuhhh! Jeremy No Like.. Take em somewhere and let THEM change em, its NO FUN.As far as parts...www.explorerexpress.com can help you out there... The 4.0 is a great engine, what your worried about is the tranny, you need to make sure that it was maintaned before you bought it and continue to maintain it , there not the strongest tranny in the world.I would consider that a weak point, but if your not off road than it shouldnt be TOO bad..Im running 31's with the 3.73 limited slip, and its great, plenty of power, I can break em free around any corner, he he. If you dont know what diff your getting, check this out http://www.users.qwest.net/~ntrpriz/Axle.htm The code is on the drivers side door. As with any other vehicle, you just need to make sure that it was maintained well before you bought it. The usual stuff...Check the tranny fluid, make sure its not brown, but a nice red color. Check the oil, the coolant level, condition of the engine compartment(All though a quick detail can be deceiving, damaged and neglected parts can still be seen)Test drives can tell alot too( Whenever you test drive a used explorer, take it all the way into overdrive-50-65 mph,dont just drive around the block once)
ANY OTHER WEBSITES?? I think not! With over 5000 Explorer owners at your disposal, there isnt one thing that will ever come up that hasnt been done before, trust me. Hope this info helps, welcome to the site...
Jeremy

I should be able to help a little with this one:

Oil Filter: Easy to get to with a cap wrench. Don't try it with a strap wrench, cause you won't get very far. It hangs on the passensger's side of the engine and vertically between the block and the frame (that's why the strap wrenches aren't easy) and upside down , so it usually leaks enough oil out when you unscrew it to get your arm sufficiently dirty, but overall, not a chore to change.

Plugs: A little bit of a job. The three on the driver's side and the two front ones on the passenger side are alright, but the rear one on the passenger side is a pain. I was able to get mine from the top with the help of some extensions and a swivel. Others have gone through the wheel well with success. With a little patience, you can do them yourself.

Parts: Parts in auto stores are abundant. Also, www.fordpartsnetwork.com has some great prices on Ford factory parts. Also www.explorerexpress.com was mentioned previously for aftermarket parts.

Front suspension went to A-arms on the 4x2 and 4x4 in 1995. Any 1995 and newer truck will have A-arm/torsion bar suspension.

I've got 110,000 miles on my 95 and the valve cover gaskets and the real seal have not started leaking any oil.

Transmission: As explained before, it's not the greatest, but my truck has seen mostly highway miles and luckily, no tranny trouble to date. Again, stock gears will range from 3.27, or maybe even 3.08, on up to 4.10. I've got the 3.27s in mine, which I believe is common for the two wheelers without towing packages.

Other points may include typical maintainance stuff that seems to plague most Explorers (throttle position sensor, fuel pressure regulator, O2 sensors, etc). Not major repairs, just stuff that make it run bad when it breaks.

And finally, this is the ONLY Explorer website!!!!

Back