Looking for Explorer Guru's opinions and help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking for Explorer Guru's opinions and help

Jhayes6096

Reaction score
City, State
Litchfield NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Limited
I am looking to trade in my 94 limited for a 2003 limited. No, I don't use this vehicle for offroad.

I am looking for the V8 in the new one, any reasons why I shouldn't get the 8 and go with the 6.

The 2003 that I'm looking at has all wheel drive, is this good or bad, should I be looking for the selectable 4wd like in a EB edition?

Lastly the 2003 has the third row seats which when folded down leaves the rear cargo area at a funky angle and not flat, seems goofy to me. Will removal of the third row seats produce a flat surface for cargo.

Thanks in advance for any and all comments, I would really like to make the right decision.

John Hayes

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

#1- The 4.6 is definetly worth it if you have the money and need towing. Or just the extra power.

#2- AWD will be fine for street/minor off roading. Its harder on tires though. Control Trac which is also avaiblable on any trim level is rear wheel drive until it senses slippage and then sends power to the front and rear. Has a selectable High and Low ranger for front and rear to be locked together with low providing the crawl speed and extra tourque for off road.

#3. The third does leave a funky angle. Really stupid yes. What can you do? Basically nothing. Pulling it will leave a hole in the floor where it used to be. Only way to get rid of it would be to remove everything for it and get the parts from one that doesn't out of a junk yard or somewhere else. There are storage compartments underneath and covers are all different for ones with and ones without. So basically if isn't worth the hassle just to get a completely flat floor. Look at it this way, eveything will slide to the back for easy unloading :D

Good luck with your purchase!

Will the AWD decrease the gas mileage? I sorta figured that perhaps being able to turn off the 4wd would save on gas. That may be a hold over from old systems I remember.

I suppose that if I removed the rear seat I could put in a custom fitted piece of plywood with carpeting and still have it look respectable. I fly Radio controlled planes and gliders and having everything jumbled at the rear gate doesn't appeal to me much. Although with the 4.6L it may all end up there anyway;-)

John Hayes

Well, AWD will probably be worse than 4AUTO. But it still provides some power to the front all the time and cannot be turned off like your current system. I would imagine the plywood would work. Actually, I see no reason why it wouldn't. You would need to make an access cover at the rear because that is where the jack equipment and the mechanism to lower the spare tire is located.

Thanks, I appreciate your taking the time comment!

John Hayes

I don't own a third generation Explorer, so I can't comment on it all, but here's why you want the V-8. You get the 4R70W automatic instead of the somewhat weaker French-built 5R55E.

The 4WD won't be any better since you still have the weight of the 4WD system lugging the car down. And if I remember correctly, the 4WD is NEVER completely 2 wheel drive. I forget how they both work, but trust me in that there is no real reason to get a V-6 4WD over a V-8 AWD unless you can't afford the V-8 option.

Correction- You get the 5R55W tranny which is a beefed up 5 speed auto. Not the 4R70W

IAmTodd said:
Correction- You get the 5R55W tranny which is a beefed up 5 speed auto. Not the 4R70W
Since when did they stop using the 4R70W? Seems like a stupid idea to me.

the '02s were the first to get the 5R55W. I guess it has been improved greatly from the 5R55E. It does quite nicely with the 4.6s power. The main advantage over the 4R70W(4speed) is the extra "gear".

OK, your suggestions are noted. Here's a new question, I have a couple of Limited's locally available one is a all wheel drive the other is advance track 4x4. Is the advance track considered the better choice?

Thanks in advance for all help,
John Hayes

The advanced trac is more of a traction control type deal. Say you're in 4WD and you have 3 wheels spinning. The system will apply the brakes to the 3 wheels spinning while leaving the non-spinning wheel (hopefully with more traction) with the total power. I'm not sure what 4WD/AWD systems that was available on. But its an additional option onto the 4X4 system. Hope my explanation wasn't too confusing.

Hello IAmTodd

Soooo.... it sounds like the advanced track is a better 4wd system. The mileage is identical on both Explorers as well as the condition, and the price is very similar. Given that, it sounds like the advanced trak is the better vehicle.

Thanks,
John Hayes

I would say it is. Is it AWD or does it have the Control Trac. Assuming it has the info center, there should be buttons to the right of the radio for 4Auto, 4Hi, etc. or blanks if it is AWD. Lemme do a lil research and I'll post back what I find.

Yes, it has the usual 3 buttons to the right of the radio as you describe and a traction control button in the middle of the center console to turn the advance trac on or off.

Thanks,
John Hayes

Alrite, so you can get the Advanced Trac on either 4WD system. But I'm leaning towards it being AWD. What motor does it have btw?

It has the 4.6L. Seems pretty strong.

The AWD Explorer that I looked at didn't have any buttons to the right of the radio, just fillers.

John

Hey IAmTodd,

I did the deed and got my Explorer to replace the 94. All black, sweet!

Thanks for your help,

John Hayes

Good to hear! Got any pics of it? All black, that'd be sweet!

Darn...I guess I'm a little too late for this. Congrats on your purchase!!!

Advance Trac is more than a traction control. It also help to keep the stability of the vehicle during high speed manuvers. It's basically a stability system. Lets say you're driving too fast around the curve and the car may understeer, well, the system will automatically calculates the steering wheel inputs, speed, and many other factors and will brake that individual wheel to keep the car on the road.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

[QUOTE='96explorereddiebauer]Advance Trac is more than a traction control.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I guess it is. I want it now :D

Back