Looking for shocks for 96 Explorer XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking for shocks for 96 Explorer XLT

Sniperking154

Reaction score
I currently have a 96 Ford Explorer XLT, 4wd. It shocks are going out and need to replace them. The guys at Good Year told me that I can just buy one kind of shocks and replace them all. However at O'Reilly's auto parts, there are shocks for the rear and front. So clearly the good year guys are dumb. I'm looking at the Monroe LT Monroe REFLEX 911035 for the rear, since that's what O'Reilly's telling me.

I read a lot of people like the Reflex, so I was wondering what shocks should I get for the front? Thanks in advance.:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I currently have a 96 Ford Explorer XLT, 4wd. It shocks are going out and need to replace them. The guys at Good Year told me that I can just buy one kind of shocks and replace them all. However at O'Reilly's auto parts, there are shocks for the rear and front. So clearly the good year guys are dumb. I'm looking at the Monroe LT Monroe REFLEX 911035 for the rear, since that's what O'Reilly's telling me.

I read a lot of people like the Reflex, so I was wondering what shocks should I get for the front? Thanks in advance.:)

I have a '97 2WD EB and put Monroe SensaTrac's all around twenty months ago and have been very happy with them.

Goodyear probably meant the same type/brand/ect. Some vehicles have struts and shocks. I wouldn't call them dumb yet.

Personally, I like my Rancho RS5000's but I drive a little faster, harder than most people. They do handle good, and tackle the dirt well. As for a plush ride, not really. Could be worst though :D
I really want the RS 9000's with the in cab control :thumbsup: that would be cool

maybe the guys at goodyear could mean that you can run the same set of shocks all around in terms of the model of shocks. the same model shocks can have differences based on whether they are rear or front, or what vehicle they are getting thrown on. for example, my rancho rs5000 shocks have different part numbers and are physically different between the front shocks and the rear ones.

personally, i also have the rancho RS5000's like colin and i absolutely love them, especially for the price. i got a set of four for 159 shipped with a 50 dollar mail in rebate. the are pretty good on the road, and handle great in the dirt, and keep your rig from bouncing up and down like a school bus.

A lot of people like the Sensa Tracs. That's what I had on my old Sport Trac.
Reflexes cost a little more and are stiffer. If you off-road or tow, they can be the way to go. Might be too stiff for some peoples' taste.

I have since learned (when buying shocks for my daughter's Jeep) that the NAPA store brand shocks are really Monroe Sensa Tracs, just painted blue and half the price. Just an FYI. :salute:

I had Monroe Sensatrac on all corners. It was a very nice ride, but a little too much lean in curves for my taste (I drive faster in turns than most of the people).
I replaced the rears with KYB Gas-A-Just (monotubes) and that fixed it for me, without sacrificing the ride quality.

Also, don't forget to replace the fifth shock if you have it. I used the Monroe one and it stabilized the rear even more in turns.

I got Monroe Sensa-Tracs. Super good built quality. have no opinion on them though, have yet to install them. I suggest staying away from Gabriel Shocks, I had some on there, and they are junk. Also if you order Monroe Sensa-Tracs off of Rock Auto, you can get a $50 rebate, for a pair of shocks that cost $89.99

Back