Looking for Torque Mods

MtrJunkie

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT 4x4 4.0L SOHC
Hey guys,

Ive been reading through the threads looking for some torque mods for my 98 xlt 4.0 SOHC explorer. Most of what I have seen is CAI, exhaust, etc. I've got a little bit of a unique setup so I wanted to ask for the recommendations.

1) Its a strictly off-road vehicle that never sees the streets.
2) I deleted both cats.
3) I deleted the stock intake and replaced it with a 3" snorkel made from exhaust pipe that bolts directly to the MAF.
4) I plan on doing the brown-wire mod, getting a powertrax front locker, and re-gearing to 4.10
5) It has 33x12.50 tires, a 1.5" suspension, and 3" BL.

I've included pics below of the truck and the snorkel setup.

Since I've heard that torque moves weight, and for what I do, low-end torque will be most helpful, I'm looking for recommendations/mods.

Budget is not set, may do it a few steps at a time, but I dont see myself putting a bottle on it. :)

Thanks!

1A62ECA2-0BAF-4F85-A0A6-7EA15E3AC5DD_zpsvkki5kck.png

BDDFCCC5-8CB0-4A20-B8AC-2DF6AA9A6093_zpsfqwnfhyb.jpg

721099E3-39B6-4086-A556-3402A1A83A12_zps3jjrf7en.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Gears.

4.88 is better for torque but the pinion starts to get small when you go too much bigger. 4.56 is a good compromise.

And the snorkel probably isn't helping with your torque problems.

Apart from the gearing; a set of properly tuned interference type extractor headers but I haven't seen a decent set for sale anywhere.

A positive displacement supercharger would definately work.
It could be set up to give you a buttload of grunt down low while leaving the top end pretty much the way it was.
You wouldn't need a lot of tuning then.

Thanks for the replies. Ok, gears it is. I'd love to have a PDSC but I dont think santa is going to bring that this year. ;)

Oh and I agree on the snorkel, but she already took a sip from the creek and fortunately didnt hydrolock, so I dont want to push my luck there.

Out of curiosity, do I have to change anything out (like the carrier) to go from 3.73s to 4.56s?

Thanks again.

Back