• Register Today It's free!

Loose steering on 93 XLT.

Gan

Reaction score
City, State
Ankara Turkey
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Limited
The steering on my 93 seems is loose. I have about 10 degrees of play to the left and right when driving straight. Is this normal or a problem. I drove my buddy Grand Cherokee yesterday and it's much tighter. Any ideas as to what I can do to make the steering more precise. Thanks.

Gan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First step is to look...

Get under there and look at your front suspension. Take some time to see how all the different parts of it are supposed to work together. Look for any obvious problems- something cracked, broken, or missing.
Then, jack up the front by the frame. Try moving the tires back and forth, up and down. Is there slop in the movement? Use a bar or have someone help as you look for loose joints. Also, if your toe-in/alignment is not to spec, the vehicle may seem to have loose steering>
Hope this helps...

Oh yea, set the E-brake first...

When I bought my truck it had that problem too. I kind of ignored it, but my steering box had a leak and the problem went away when it was replaced. I've also heard that if the bolts holding the steering box aren't tight enough it may cause that problem.

OK, I know I'm new to explorers but not to cars, I have to ask what is toe-in/alignment. Thanks for the info.

Gan

two terms, sorry for the confusion...

Actually, toe-in is part of the alignment of your front suspension (wheels). A front end alignment is needed to make the vehicle "track" properly as it goes down the road. Toe-in is an adjustment that points the front of the tires slightly towards each other. The tires are not exactly parallel with each other. They are "toed-in" just a couple degrees. On most vehicles, If the tires are parallel it will not drive straight down the road. It will wander.

Do your inspection for broken or loose parts, then get the alignment checked, before you start replacing stuff.

The 91-94 explorers have an adjustable steering box, you loosen the nut on top and adjust the stud. You should take it to a professional to do this, but it can get expensive. It might cost less to get a new steering box like Henry suggested. Wabbit has a good point to, just put it on jack stands and get under there and start moving things around and see if anythings out of place.

good luck,
FM

another possibility... with that much play in it, there is a rubber flex-coupling that mounts to the steering shaft on my 93 Ranger(not sure if the ex is the same or not)... it's under the hood about a foot and a half from the firewall... it's a rubber coupling with a metal back-up "safety" mechanism... if the rubber gives way, it stops you from losing your steering completely. Yours could have let go....

-Joe-

These are great suggestions.
I would like to add one more. leave the wheels on the ground, have a buddy turn the wheel back and fourth in that loose range. get under front end and visually inspect the tierod ends and centerlink connection as you buddy is doing the wheel thing. if it is as bad as you say the loose joints will be very easy to see.

Back