Loss of Power, runs rough and funny smell | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Loss of Power, runs rough and funny smell

tmoney919

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer XLS 4.O OHV
I just replaced lower intake manifold gasket, fuel injector o-rings and all other gaskets in the process a couple of weeks ago, she was running like a champ afterwards. Last week noticed that one of the injectors was leaking so I replaced the o-rings (and the fuel rail gasket again) this weekend. After I was done I noticed I had no coolant in my over flow so I checked the the coolant level in the radiator and topped it off ( took barely any coolant to top it off). On first start up everything was fine no leaking fuel injectors and ran like a champ, let it run for 10 mins and went inside to clean up. I ran to the store an hour later and she ran like crap as soon as she started. Rough idle, engine had no power, shakes and stumbles and a real funny smell from the exhaust, which had white smoke for a few mins. Can anyone give me some advice on where to go from here?

I thinking maybe the cats are clogged but not sure it is that. I recently changed plugs, wires and fuel filter and coolant temp sensor ETC so I can rule those out. At this point I'm thinking maybe the fuel from the leaking injector ruined my head gasket as I drove her for a week with it leaking. Had to wait till I got paid to buy parts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It certainly sounds like you have coolant entering the cylinders (bad head gasket), and going out the exhaust.

Why do say the injectors are leaking? Are you actually seeing fuel coming out around the injectors or something? Leaking injectors aren't usually visible externally.

the injector on the right rear was pissing out gas last week you could smell it and see while the engine was running, thats why I replaced the o-rings. It ran fine up until yesterday right after I replaced the o-rings. First start up was fine then an hour later ran horrible.

Let the engine cool overnight, then pull the plugs. The wet one(s) will show you where your head gasket is leaking.

Found the problem, bad fuel injector. I am not losing coolant, the smell from the exhaust was unburned fuel. The fuel injector is dumping in too much gas causing it to run rich and have no power. Just have to wait till pay day to fix :( But no worries

Back