LOT of brake dust

RandomNerd2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
South Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 5.0, 01 4.0.
Okay I've got an issue I'm unsure of since it's seemingly CHEAP pads but I'm gonna ask, my 2000 5.0 V8 had brand new brake pads when I began driving it, no idea who made them, but the past 3K miles I've driven it, in 200 miles the front wheels are BLACK with brake dust, and it's not having a pulling issue, and the calipers looked OK when it was apart, nor is there a bad vibration, I'm curious if anybody else has seen this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If their cheap pads there Semi Metallic. Semi Metallic produces a lot more brake dust the other types. Its normal. If you don't want the dust buy ceramic or organic. Semi Metallic gives you the best "stopping power" so they say. I am not going to sit here and tell you they do. Just what I have read. Semi Metallic brake dust is normal. put a wax on the wheels and you can just rinse them off.

Don't think it fair to lump brake dust problems on all semi-metallic pads. There are budget pads and there are quality pads. I've been running Wagner Thermoquiet semi-metallics for several years now on all my vehicles and I never have brake dust problems. Was never a real fan of ceramics; especially, after seeing how aggressively they would "eat away" at the rotors on a couple of my cars. But, hey...the pads held up great! When it comes to brakes/rotors, I never buy the low end stuff...but, it's hard to find good rotors as they all seem to be made in China.

^ The last Wagner thermo quiets I put on a couple different vehicles (not Explorers) were ceramic.

I'd pull the pads off and take a wire brush to the slide rails and check grease on the slide pins, though if it is happening roughly equally on both sides, it is doubtful both are suddenly starting to seize simultaneously.

Could it just be that you've had less rain than usual so the dust isn't getting rinsed off by that? Are there deep ridges worn into the rotors? That can accelerate pad wear.

As far as wearing rotors faster, some people say they do, some say they don't or even wear them less. It might depend on the other properties of the pad or state of the rotor, caliper, slide rails, etc when installed. You can put a brand new rotor on but if it has more runout, you'll have more wear.

In recent years many states have been limiting the amount of heavy metals in brake pads, metals like copper which were there for its benefits. They weren't just in "semi metallic" pads but ceramic too. This means pads you buy now and in the future, may not be the same as those bought ten years ago. I don't know to what extent current brands and offerings have been reformulated.

Wagner ThermoQuiets are available in both semi-metallic and ceramic.

It's the pad material. I've switched all my Ex's and Monty's over to AutoZone CMAX ceramic front brake pads, which has almost totally eliminated the front brake dust accumulation. I haven't washed my Sport Trac since last summer and the front wheels look just like the rears, Dirty, but not black with brake dust. You can go with other brands of ceramic pads, but I really have no complaints with the AZ's CMAX (and I'll never have to pay for brake pads again with their free replacement for life policy).

I'll do what Koda says then, since these pads aren't holding up at all, and when I do the pads the rotors are clearly factory, not worn badly though but I'm gonna be in there so might as well.

^ You have ~18 year old factory rotors that aren't worn badly? I'm impressed, unless they were lathed. I would leave the pads until they are worn to a low level, not go by the amount of dust on the wheels. On the other hand I prefer ceramic to keep wheels cleaner.

Soft, faster wearing pads preserve the rotor better. Harder wear it down faster.

When I put a set of Satisfied Pro Ceramic pads on my g/f's 03 Civic EX coupe, they were super dusty. I had to use straight Simple Green and dollar store green scrub pads (not abrasive like Scotchbrite pads) to remove the brake dust. I eventually tossed those and put OEM pads back on. Brake dust problem solved.

On my Explorer, ceramic pads were recently installed front and back. No noticeable brake dust buildup so far...

Lol exactly what I say.

Yeah the Rotors say Ford on them, and look undisturbed, only thing I can figure is the miles were all highway and none city, I have checked the brakes however and it's the pads, and they're wearing down considerably, and level with no signs of sticking or anything to be concerned over, I am going to redo the brake rotors and pads when these pads get worn down though, that way I know what's been done and can rest assured it's done right.

So, update to this thread, since it's due, replaced the pads with some cheap Carquest ones, and the dust was still as bad as ever, and happens so, I had a caliper go bad, so I did the caliper and the rotors since it trashed one, and turns out that seems to have fixed it, interesting, never seen rotors be responsible for a lot of wheel dust.

Back