loud clunk while moving followed by loud vibration. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

loud clunk while moving followed by loud vibration.

billcucc

Reaction score
City, State
Medfod, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 ranger 4WD
My 1998 Ranger 3.0, 4WD, front and back ABS, manual trans.
I posted a question in 2014 regarding left front vibration. Member replies suggested a bad wheel bearing. That was the problem and because of ABS hub I had to replace the complete hub.

Now I have a similar sound and vibration on the right front and decided to check the hub and replace it in the near future if the hub was the problem.

I was on my way back from a short trip down a mountain highway doing about 55 and I rolled onto the rumble strips separating the traffic lane from the shoulder. Along with the warning rumble and vibration a loud clunk occurred. This is a very loud rumble and serious vibration. I pulled back off of the strip but the rumble and vibration continued. I slowed but he rumble/vibration did not stop. I pulled over onto the shoulder and stopped, started up and moved onto the traffic lane. After traveling a few hundred yards with no problem the clunk/noise/vibration returned(I was not on the rumble strip) The vibration could be felt through the steering wheel and floor board. I stopped and started moving with the same result several times. At a few hundred yards at a lurch the 35 miles to home would take a very long time. I decided to go for it, made it home without anything disintegrating. The noise/vibration did not getting worse.

I have an off the wall thought that the combination of a bad hub bearing along with the vacuum pulse hub engaging the axle might cause problem?

Any thoughts, suggestions would be very appreciated.

Thanks for bearing along with my lengthy description

Billcucc.

Back