Loud noise screech | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Loud noise screech

BlackOut33

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer Ltd
Whenever I turn on the ac or heat it makes a loud noise like a screech then goes away any ideas ???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think it might have to do with the dye they put into the ac maybe its leaking out and hitting the fan? which is causing that noise?

Check your serpentine belt. Has it ever been changed? It may be glazed and slips a bit when you turn on the AC.

I will defnently find out thank you very much I have a appointment Friday with my mechanic.

Thank you once again I appreciate it and will ask him

I think it might have to do with the dye they put into the ac maybe its leaking out and hitting the fan? which is causing that noise?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If the AC dye leaked on to your belt, that could definately cause the screeching you hear. Leaking antifreeze will do the same thing. The belt will slip a little when wet.

Hey boys I checked my lines today they seem all dry it was coming from the AC DYE because I noticed right under my oil filter I see a little bit of wetness around it I rubbed my hand around it and its the green dye didnt smell or anything...I checked my ANTIFREEZE where you add fluid and it seems perfectly fine checked the lines as well didnt find a leak...Friday when I bring the SUV in to my mechanic im gonna have him check it all to make sure everything is ok..

Thanks guys really do appreciate it and ive stopped using the AC let the guy fix it and go from there.

Bearing going out on the A/C unit perhaps?

On my '02 XLT with the V8, the oil filter screws into a mounting plate which also has coolant flowing through it. The gasket for that mounting plate (or whatever it's called) is known to leak in old age; can leak either oil or coolant. Have ur mechanic put it up on a lift and get a good look at where the oil filter mounts, and what's leaking.... (not sure if this applies to the V6)

Hey Skeeter I had the oil gasket that holds the coolant & oil replaced back in Feb its brand new it sounds like the freon I have a feeling but I will have him place it in the air because im due for a oil change and see what he says.

Thank you tho for mentioning that my suv is a 4.6l v8 explorer limited 2003

Never an issue until I had the a/c recharged wit the dye so they can find the leak.

Skeeter said:
On my '02 XLT with the V8, the oil filter screws into a mounting plate which also has coolant flowing through it. The gasket for that mounting plate (or whatever it's called) is known to leak in old age; can leak either oil or coolant. Have ur mechanic put it up on a lift and get a good look at where the oil filter mounts, and what's leaking.... (not sure if this applies to the V6)

Not to hijack this thread but I'd like to hear a little more about this leaking gasket. What are the symptoms of the problem? The reason I ask is because I changed the oil/filter on my 2002 4.6L V-8 last week and noticed what looked to me like some oil on the outside of the filter. Even though it's only been 3000 miles since the previous oil change I chalked up the issue as being a poor seal on the oil filter...figuring a new oil filter would probably resolve the issue. So now I'm hearing that that might not be the case????

For your vehicle it might be the same issue I had it was the gasket housing I think that goes where the coolant and engine oil goes into after that everything was back to normal dry as a bone.

Im not 100% if you have same issue but maybe thats what it could be ?

Back