Love the Explorer - BUT need advice on a few issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Love the Explorer - BUT need advice on a few issues

luvmycar

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ford Explorer
Hi guys,

First I have to say I love my 2012 Ford Explorer Limited with all the bells and whistles including navigation and towing package. It's a great SUV overall, and really happy with the purchase. Having said that, right off the bat I have been having some issues, some which I have read about on the forum and plan on taking in to get fixed (liftgate problem opening in cold weather, warning from terrain management, and rattle from front dash and right pillar behind passenger seat) but what really puzzles me and I thought perhaps someone on here might be able to shed some light:

1-When I apply my brakes and come to a stop, I've noticed that the car sort of wobbles back and forth slightly. A better description would be that it feels like it is rocking back and forth very slightly just after I come to a full stop.

2-On a cold day i.e. today when the climate control is on and set to auto, it feels like it's circulating or blowing cold air, so if I change the fan to blow from the front air vents, it goes from being slightly warm to cold and then back to warm and then back to cold. It seems like the temperature is constantly fluctuating. Also I have notice that on a hot day, the AC just seems to under perform and it doesn't get cool enough.

Oh and one last question, is a fan supposed to come on when you turn on the seat warmer? I usually hear a sound like a fan going on and off while the seat warmer is on, if I switch the seat warmer off, the fan stops.

I appreciate any feedback on this.

Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can't speak to all of those concerns, but I have noticed my 2012 XLT rocking a bit after stop. I don't think it's a mechanical problem, just the nature of the beast, like maybe fuel sloshing fowrad and back. I've driven a lot of vehicles and this feeling is sorta different but minimal, IMO. If it was side to side, I'd say you have warped brake rotors, although I haven't heard of that being an issue on these yet.

There is a TSB and customer satisfaction program to adjust the fan speed and frequency to make the AC work better (among other things). Ask your dealer about 12B36, PCM reprogram. They can look it up and see if it applies.

There's a TSB on the 2011's for a heater blend door sitcking (something that may cause the temp fluxuation), but the 2012s shouldn't have the issue, so Idk what's up there.

Hope that helps a bit, if nothing else to let ya know that you're not imagining the rocking. ;)

-Kevin.

Yes to the seats, a fan cycles on and off

I can't speak to all of those concerns, but I have noticed my 2012 XLT rocking a bit after stop. I don't think it's a mechanical problem, just the nature of the beast, like maybe fuel sloshing fowrad and back. I've driven a lot of vehicles and this feeling is sorta different but minimal, IMO. If it was side to side, I'd say you have warped brake rotors, although I haven't heard of that being an issue on these yet.

Thanks for the reply. I thought about it being the gas sloshing around so I tried it on near empty and does the same thing. I can even stimulate the motion by gently taking my foot off the break and reapplying. Where as in all my past cars, the car's motion stops completely, in the Explorer it wobbles forward and back several times. I thought it might be the brakes or engine mount, but then again what do I know.

The seats use something called "peltier" heating/cooling technology.
Do a search on "peltier" in this forum and you will find several discussions about the seats, fans, and the heating-cooling system used on the seats.

There is a TSB and customer satisfaction program to adjust the fan speed and frequency to make the AC work better (among other things). Ask your dealer about 12B36, PCM reprogram. They can look it up and see if it applies.

There's a TSB on the 2011's for a heater blend door sitcking (something that may cause the temp fluxuation), but the 2012s shouldn't have the issue, so Idk what's up there.

Hope that helps a bit, if nothing else to let ya know that you're not imagining the rocking. ;)

-Kevin.
Kevin, I don;t believe 12B36 has anything to do with the A/C system. I had that 'Customer Satisfaction Program' done a couple of days ago. All they do is reprogram the PCM in order to periodically/randomly run the fans at high speed to help prevent corrosion building up on the cooling fan contacts. I suppose it is hoped that this will help to prevent the cooling fan failures that some owners have experienced.
I haven't noticed the 'rocking' at stops, no matter what the fuel level was.

Peter

Back