Low audio volume and poor sound performance | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Low audio volume and poor sound performance

Heath t

Reaction score
City, State
north louisiana
Im seriously disappointed in the lack of volume acheviable in the Sony system. The system is clearly digitally throttleing the volume back at high levels. This is the "quietest" factory system I have ever heard. It is absolutely terrible.

Anyone know any hacks to improve the sound level, or does anyone know of any modules that can add RCA style outputs to the factory radio to add In aftermarket amplifiers?

Im not a big aftermarket stereo person, but the factory system is unacceptable even to my wife, who almost never listens to the radio"loud".

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im seriously disappointed in the lack of volume acheviable in the Sony system. The system is clearly digitally throttleing the volume back at high levels. This is the "quietest" factory system I have ever heard. It is absolutely terrible.

Anyone know any hacks to improve the sound level, or does anyone know of any modules that can add RCA style outputs to the factory radio to add In aftermarket amplifiers?

Im not a big aftermarket stereo person, but the factory system is unacceptable even to my wife, who almost never listens to the radio"loud".

Just on the off chance, is the Ford Mykey system turned on?

Additional MyKey features that can be programmed through the vehicle’s message center setup menu:

Limited top speed of 80 mph
Traction control system, that limits tire spin, cannot be deactivated
Limited audio volume to 44 percent of total volume
A speed alert chime at 45, 55 or 65 mph

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=29172

You know... I noticed that as well. What type of transmission (HD, Radio, Sirius) makes a HUGE difference too. I still can't figure out why 'stereo' is set from the factory over 'surround'.

My Ex with the Sony is quite loud enough. My wife likes it blasting and she has no complaints. I would check the Ford Mykey system as calb suggested.
If not I would go to dealer first before adding equipment.

I have no problem getting it extremely loud. I have never turned it up past 50% volume and I like listening to music loud on occassion.

Perhaps your amplifier is bad or has a blown fuse?

Also turn off speed sensitive volume. The explorer turns up the volume at high speeds and turns it down for lower speeds.

I have no problem getting it extremely loud. I have never turned it up past 50% volume and I like listening to music loud on occassion.

Perhaps your amplifier is bad or has a blown fuse?

Also turn off speed sensitive volume. The explorer turns up the volume at high speeds and turns it down for lower speeds.

I like the speed sensitive volume. Mine is set on five.

No, it turns out it was none of those. Its just plain old not loud. With the bass all the way down its about 1/3rd louder than with the bass at half (where it sounds right). Its digitally choking the signal back so the speakers dont "blow".

Back