Low Fuel Display Message won't cancel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Low Fuel Display Message won't cancel

dco43054

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
cmh
Year, Model & Trim Level
20 XLT
So here's a new one -

On the way home Saturday night, the low fuel message came on the left panel. I hit OK on the left steering wheel button and it disappears.

I thought "Cool. Thanks for the warning, MFT - I'll get gas on Sunday".

So yesterday evening I head out to get gas, and the message comes up on the left display comes again. I hit the left button to OK the message. It won't go away. Tried the rocker up/down/left/right, but again, it won't go away and I can't navigate away from it to a different left display choice. Tried Left center button multiple times - nothing. Stuck on low fuel.

I was able to use the right control to display and select. Then tried the left and still no dice.

Came up to an intersection with no one around. Shut off the car, restart immediately, and can then OK the message when it appears. Weird.

Stopped along the way. Came out later, headed for the gas station and the display stuck on low fuel message again. PITA

Filled up, restarted, no message displayed.

Weird, and a PITA.

This software is buggier than a summer day in the bayou.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not necessarily- I know on my Taurus, if the low fuel came on, it would allow you to drive only so far while clearing it, then when it got really low it would stay on until filled up and you could not override it. I guess a "dude, get gas NOW" nanny state thing.

Not sure how it's programmed to work, but it is probably working how it's supposed to, you just didn't get gas fast enough. :)

Mine seems to come on at 50 miles till empty, 25 miles till empty, then at 5 mile increments after that. I am however able to clear the message every time. Even when I receive the ZERO miles to empty warning. I clear it and it goes away, and I head to the nearest gas station. I know I can go at least 8 miles after I get the ZERO miles to empty warning. Haven't pushed it past that. My old Expedition could go atleast 10 miles past the ZERO warning.

100_2847.jpg

Mile 24 in the Taurus... :)

I hit the left button to OK the message. It won't go away. Tried the rocker up/down/left/right, but again, it won't go away and I can't navigate away from it to a different left display choice.

I've had this happen on occasion with the Low Fuel box. Usually you can dismiss it, but sometime it just won't go away and seems to lock up the entire left display. The same thing happened the other day with a low tire pressure warning.

It's just part of the MFT experience, I guess.

I haven't had this problem but noticed an issue on Friday when I got the low fuel display. My clock went forward an hour (scared me as I needed to get somewhere on time) and my nav display shifted so it was about 2-3 miles from where I actually was. This was pretty frustrating as I was going to use nav to find a gas station along my route which was not possible given the nav error. After changing the clock and finding a gas station (and filling up), nav was fine (showing proper location) and the clock was an hour early (probably because I manually changed time by one hour to fix Explorer time error).

I don't know if the Nav and clock problems were in any way related the low fuel warning but if there is a problem with the warnings and they are interconnected, hopefully the new update will fix all our problems.

Not sure how it's programmed to work, but it is probably working how it's supposed to, you just didn't get gas fast enough. :)
Sorry, but no - it's not programmed to work this way. This was at 50 miles. It's supposed to acknowledge and disappear. I've run it down to less than 10 miles before with warnings the whole way. Each time previously it has acknowledged and disappeared.

I have had this happen several times. Almost always seems to be when the low fuel warning comes on and I drive a distance before trying to clear it.

Back