• Register Today It's free!

Low fuel light/gas gauge wrong.

Bdt1967

Reaction score
City, State
Hutchinson, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Mountianeer AWD
I have an 03 Mountaineer with the 4.0, a couple weeks ago the low fuel light kicked on, I drove 6 miles and the car died, message center showed I had 4X miles left, I pushed the truck into the gas station and added 23 gal of fuel, so obviously it was empty. Thought no big deal must have been a fluke. This weekend had my wife on a date, low fuel kicked on this time the truck drove until the 30 miles till empty mark and died again. This time I didn’t fill it plum up but I am sure it was empty. My question, is there any way to reset the fuel gauge so it accurately reads the fuel level, or at least make the low fuel alarm come on at the correct time (50 miles till empty

1) You aren't doing your fuel pump any favors by running your tank empty
2) MPG calc by your message center is a running average and not a magical perfect guess of how many miles until you're stranded. I've ran it to 0 miles till empty and made it to a gas station fine. Thank god.
3) You can reset anything and everything learned by your truck by disconnecting the battery and leaving it sit a while before reconnecting

I know when I fill up, im lucky for the computer to say 290 til E, but when I unhooked the harness going to it and filled up, it said something like 337 til E or something.

Like he said though, just try unplugging the battery for a little bit; since im sure you dont want to rip your cluster out to unhook it :)

Cool I will give that a shot this weekend. Unfortunately I have to risk running out again before I know if its fixed :shifty_ey

Back