Miles to "low fuel" light? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Miles to "low fuel" light?

Just did test again. Drove it till dash said Zero miles to empty and then filled tank. Took 16 gals. So 6 gals still in tank. Thats's another 84 miles. Just wondering if Ford is leaving that much of a buffer.
I have a 2007 Ford Explorer that says it gets 21 mpg. I fill up and it says 430 miles to empty. When it hits 1/4 tank I can literally watch it drop from around 110 to empty and only drive 15 miles and it will read zero. It’s like the needles and digital meter fail after it hits 1/4 tank. It should have around 70 miles to empty when it says it has zero. I have riden the zero for 30 miles to prove a point that it still had gas before I filled back up. I drive 90 miles to work, left home with 197 miles to empty and had to fuel up half way into my drive because it told me I had 2 miles to empty. No leaks, New fuel pump, new sensor above tank, new lines, dropped and cleaned the tank and coal filter. No idea what it is. Sounds similar to my issue. But to answer your question my light comes on around 1/8 tank (50 miles) then I get a reminder every 10 miles (40,30,20,10,0).

I go off a basic 18mpg x 22 gal tank even though it’s 24. That’s 396 miles. So I set my trip meter and refill at 350 to be safe. Hope this helps.

Just a heads up. You're responding to a seven year old thread.

Back