• Register Today It's free!

Low idle stalls when shifting

madkerstbt

Reaction score
City, State
steamboat springs, co
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 eddie bauer explorer
Hi - I have a 1995 eddie bauer - 4 wheel drive explorer. It started to stall - low idle- Replaced spark plugs, new battery and new throttle sensor.
Next have looked at idle air control valve - before removing valve - Tested the voltage signal from the PCM per hayes manual - did not get voltage - got .33 vs 10.5-12.5. So where do I go from here. Car will start - but as soon put foot on brake to shift it stalls. Live in small town so not able to get OBD 2 for rent and would have to have towed to someone - so trying to avoid that. thanks -

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check voltage at wire where it comes out of PCM. If voltage low at PCM, then you have most likely found the problem. If voltage not low at PCM, but low at the IAC, then I would run a jumper wire between the two points, see if engine will ldle.

Sounds like the IAC valve to me. Can't you keep your foot lightly on the gas to keep it running while you put it into gear? If you can I'd take the IAC off and clean it with some WD 40, wipe it out and replace it and see what happens.

Try checking out your MAF and clean it out.

We have actually removed and cleaned that already

Does anyone have a PCM diagram they can email me?

Looking to find out what "slot" the ICV is in the PCM - so I can test voltage for the IAC.

You can do what I did. Slit the harness cover from the PCM, find your wire to the IAC, and check it there,next to the PCM, and again at the IAC. I think you will get a more reliable reading anyway.

the IAC doesn't get its voltage from the PCM. It gets it from the PCM relay and that's just standard battery voltage.

so then I need to trace the wiring - and figure out where bad -- does not sound easy any ideas to make it easier

since the PCM powers tons of other stuff, your problem is probably close to the iac. Having said that, can you explain how you tested for your voltage??? I suspect a potential testing ... maybe ... :)

- negative probe on negative battery probe and postive in electric connector. I did it and then had someone with more way more knowledge and experience check and we both got the same results.

ok thanks.... you are likely going to have to start going back up the connector / wiring looking for breaks. IF possible make your self a "pin probe" possibly to "push gently" thru the wire insulations probing for voltage. Good luck.... wiring diagram shows some splicing along the "route" as I said the power from the PCM relay goes a lot of places. I would look very carefully in and around the connector.

Back