• Register Today It's free!

Low speed surging 2018 PIU

Chickensandwich

Reaction score
City, State
Madison
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Police Utility
I saw some other posts, but not specific to a 2018 (ecoboost) and low speed surging.

it surges about 100rpm constantly at low speed, about 25mph. The entire engine and throttle body were cleaned out at the dealership due to excessive carbon. Would this still be a throttle body issue? Is it hardware related? It just seemed to creep up on me. I use only premium fuel, if that matters. It’s really annoying!!

Anyone have this issue and get it resolved?

thanks for any help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In the "old" days I would suspect that the IAC needed cleaning, but from what I understand there is no IAC, just the throttle body and throttle position sensor. I would test the throttle position sensor next.

In the "old" days I would suspect that the IAC needed cleaning, but from what I understand there is no IAC, just the throttle body and throttle position sensor. I would test the throttle position sensor next.
Not being too car savvy, where might that be located?

I saw some other posts, but not specific to a 2018 (ecoboost) and low speed surging.

it surges about 100rpm constantly at low speed, about 25mph. The entire engine and throttle body were cleaned out at the dealership due to excessive carbon. Would this still be a throttle body issue? Is it hardware related? It just seemed to creep up on me. I use only premium fuel, if that matters. It’s really annoying!!

Anyone have this issue and get it resolved?

thanks for any help
dealership cleaned out the carbon from intake valves? if they did how did they do that?

dealership cleaned out the carbon from intake valves? if they did how did they do that?
They did some kind of foaming cleanse of the interior of the engine. It took a while and was expensive, but it runs a lot better than it did, so whatever it was, it was magic.

They did some kind of foaming cleanse of the interior of the engine. It took a while and was expensive, but it runs a lot better than it did, so whatever it was, it was magic.

that's interesting. I heard Ford didn't have an approved induction cleaning method because solvents and foam cleansers would damage the turbos.

that's interesting. I heard Ford didn't have an approved induction cleaning method because solvents and foam cleansers would damage the turbos.
I heard the same thing. They said there was excessive build up and this was the only thing they could do. It was worth it. The car probably idled a lot and since it was a city vehicle, they said the accelerator probably wasn’t used to its “maximum potential”. In other words, after they cleaned it out, they said to make sure I get on the gas regularly to keep deposits from building up. They also recommended Techron every so often to help as well. I’m going to keep it clean from here forward. Other than the surging, it’s as fast a new new one again…night and day difference

I heard the same thing. They said there was excessive build up and this was the only thing they could do. It was worth it. The car probably idled a lot and since it was a city vehicle, they said the accelerator probably wasn’t used to its “maximum potential”. In other words, after they cleaned it out, they said to make sure I get on the gas regularly to keep deposits from building up. They also recommended Techron every so often to help as well. I’m going to keep it clean from here forward. Other than the surging, it’s as fast a new new one again…night and day difference
I dont see how fuel additives would help as its not sprayed on to the valves. I would think more oil changes would probably help more than fuel additives

The intake valves can be cleaned using a walnut blaster. Its messy and tedious but very effective. Check out YouTube for videos on that.

As for the surging, you should look at the torque converter if there are no present DTC codes for anything else. You can monitor the lockup with ForScan or Torque apps.

I dont see how fuel additives would help as its not sprayed on to the valves. I would think more oil changes would probably help more than fuel additives
I was having an injector issue too. It was most likely meant more for that.

FYI If this didn't get resolved already, but I had surging and bucking in my 2014 PIU Ecoboost that I picked up last week. It only happened between like 15-50mph, mostly 2-5th gear. Yesterday I drained the transmission fluid and added LubeGard Shutter Fix and it's like 95% better, so worth considering if you you've never had the trans fluid replaced.

^^Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

FYI If this didn't get resolved already, but I had surging and bucking in my 2014 PIU Ecoboost that I picked up last week. It only happened between like 15-50mph, mostly 2-5th gear. Yesterday I drained the transmission fluid and added LubeGard Shutter Fix and it's like 95% better, so worth considering if you you've never had the trans fluid replaced.
It’s more of a surging at low speed, not really a shudder. It doesn’t seem like a transmission issue

Well what speed and is it in a specific gear? I had 14' PIU and between say thirty and 40 mph at light throttle that thing surged and felt strange. I swore it was tune up or anything related to fuel. Changed trans fluid and it was gone.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back