• Register Today It's free!

Lowering air suspension 97

Reaction score
City, State
Vacaville, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 limited (gone)
Hi folks;
I have a 97 limited w/ V-8, auto/ auto-leveling air suspension. So far it is all stock except for a K&n drop in filter.
What I want to do is put on the explorer express x-spec suspension kit except for the shocks. The 1 3/8" drop in the back is cool, but I want it to have a little "rake" to it. I would like to drop the front about 2" in the front. Can I do this with the stock air suspension? Or will I have to eliminate it and use the edelbrock shocks also?
I think that the ability to make minute suspension adjustments with the air suspension would be cool.
George

We have some experience with the air ride suspension models. There is an advantage to disconnecting the air ride system and switch to the Edelbeocks. All you have to do is disconnect the shocks and remove the fuse for the air ride compressor. This may cause a warning light to come on. The special Edelbrock's perform much better than the stock air ride type and offer a better ride. Firm but not bouncy. The air ride models sit lower in the rear when the air ride is eliminated. Many owners have had success with not installing the lowering blocks at the rear and lowering the front only. If you carry heavy passengers or cargo regularly, we may substitute the rear Edelbrock shocks for the Monroe Load Leveling Shocks. These have built-in coil over springs to help keep you from bottomong out. This front only lowering with the special shocks and X-Spec Sway Bars will give you the rake you want as well as awsome ride handling!

The stock air ride systems has sensors and is designed to lower when the vehicle is turned off. The idea of controlling the system for ride height would require changing some of these components.

Attachments

• blue x handling web.jpg
    blue x handling web.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 1,463

Thanks John......but......

Can I just bolt the new shocks in directly as replacements for the air ride stuff, or are there any other parts to buy or modifications to make? Are they a direct swap? I do carry about fifty to one hundred pounds of gear with me all the time to work (two uniforms, two of everthing else). Any tips would be appreciated. I work two full time jobs, so my time off must be spent wisely. WhenI work on the X, I must have everything right in front of me, due to not having time to make extra parts runs.
Ideally, I would be doing the handling kit one day, then having the alignment done the next day. Then, back to work I go! hurahh!!
George

The shocks we sell would be a direct replacement for the air ride shocks. For you I would recommend using the Monroe Load Leveling Shocks at he rear. We could set you up with a kit that would include everything required for the job. It would be custom tailored for the air ride model. Keep in mind you, you may get a warning light on the dash after removing the air ride fuse.

Back