• Register Today It's free!

maf or ecm? need help

karenhendersong

Reaction score
City, State
gainesville, florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 eddie bower
I have a 1993 ford explorer it was running fine my husband drove it to the store and said it was spitting and sputtering and cut off on him so I thought maybe it was just low on gas so i got some and it ran fine then i started having problems with it sometimes it would run great all over town then i go to leave and the check engine light stays on and its spitting and sputtering and smells of exhaust really bad so i took it to a shop they put it on the computer first it gave no code he ran it again it said fuses, wiring so he checked the fuses ran it again it gave 10 codes so he said it was the ecm ( control module) which is like $400 so I called my brother who is a mechanic he doesnt think its the ecm he thinks its the map sensor . It was not sputtering that bad and only now and then like 8 out of 10 times i crunk it up it ran fine so I kept driving it for a day or two. I went to the mall and every time i stopped at a light it was cutting off so i had to keep one on the brake and one on the gas (very lightly) it was jerking so bad i thought the motor was gonna fall out and smelling of exhaust really bad. I was going like 5 miles an hour and it was rocking the truck sputtering I had to have it towed home. Its almost like the catalytic converter is clogged up . I am lost any suggestions?

chances are it could be your maf sensor. simply because the right fuel to air mixture isnt going into your engine. which would be why the vehicle is sputtering, giving it more gas than air and as a result your exhaust smells more. but it could very well be because of increased back pressure from your catyalytic converter. have your brother check it out.

Back