MAF Question / Matter of Pride / Future Mod | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MAF Question / Matter of Pride / Future Mod

fiftyfordfloored

Explorer Super Upper
Reaction score
City, State
Alpha, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer 4x4 Limited
I was talking to my buddy today and we were discussing modern automotive performance.

He said: moving the MAF closer to the TB will improve performance, as the sensor is closest to the TB / intake and therefore providing it a more accurate reading as the air is pulled into each cylinder.

I said: that it really shouldn't boost it at all, as the column of air will be moving equally at each end of the intake tube... OR, possibly if it is not of equal flow, moving it closer you may actually get a more erratic / pulsed reading as the air is sucked in to each cylinder, and may actually decrease your performance do to a computer timing problem... or something along that line.

Since I'm normally working around older cars and this new computer stuff is still a little foreign (the '92 is the first "new" car I've ever owned, but I'm learning :D )... Who's right, who's wrong, or are we both way off and need to retake some failed high school class? If he's right, thats great, as I may have a cheap future mod on my hands. :thumbsup:

Hahahaha, it's a win-win situation, isn't it? Either you're right, or you've got a cheap mod...

I don't think moving the MAF closer to the TB would make much difference... at least not in the way he was thinking. I'm pretty sure it's fairly equal flow... that is, if you've got a fairly smooth intake. However, the only benefits I can think of would have to do with moving the entire filter/MAF closer to the TB in order to reduce the distance the air travels... I'm not too sure on this one, but I figure that the less distance it has to travel the easier it is to move...

Thanks guys... I really didn't think there was a benefit to that.

Back