making custom front bumper for a 92 x | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

making custom front bumper for a 92 x

Ok guys just like the title says i want to make a front bumper. i was thinking fiberglass, the concern i have is in the event of an impact, how strong is fiberglass. i figure i will need to fab up my own brackets. i plan to use the x old bumper. i just want something no one else has. It may sound dumb but thats what i really want. so has any one done this before. any one have any pointers?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have fiberglass front bumper. My original Steel bumer is still in place. The Fiberglass shell just snaps over the steel.

My bumper is a Explorer Express 1st Gen Airdam...aka A Fiberglass copy of the 93/94 Limited Bumper. It is no longer is production. And I bought the very last one.

Ryan

do you have any pictures of what it looks like?

a fiberglass bumper wil not provide you with much impact strength. Keeping the existing renif obviously will be the hot ticket.

MONMIX that's what i thought but i want to start from scratch. if i would find a reinforcement bar that i could fab up brackets to that should keep it ridged and provide impact strength. or do i need to keep the the bread and butter or whats there now?

As long as it provides suffiecnt impact absorbition you should be fine.

Back