Manual BW 13-54 swap info needed | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Manual BW 13-54 swap info needed

Ok I know there are many threads on this but I have searched and searched and I can't find exactly what I am looking for. Here is what I want to do. I have the electronic push button T-case in my 93 Sport with the Mazda 5 speed tranny and I would like to convert it to the manual BW 13-54 T-case. I know it has been done by other members so I know it can be done.

What I need to know is What exactly do I need to do this and if you have part numbers that would help alot. What is the dificulty of this swap? Will it bolt right up or will I need to modify somethings? Do I need to get a new speedo sensor? Also do any of the rangers come with this T-case? and If so can it be used in a 93 Sport?

Thanks for your Info and If any moderators feel this needs to be deleted because it has been asked so many times feel free to do so.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey all,
i know its been a while. i now have the right tcase. i got it from greenleaf of tallahassee and it has a one year or 12,000 mile guarantee ($500.) i got a remanufactured tranny for $1200 fromthe same place and it has a 24,000 mile warranty. i pulled the tranny last week in anticipation of getting my new tranny on friday of course they shipped it to some place in Pennsylvania.

the lights on the dash will work fine with the old system torn out. on my 95 since i do not have manual hubs i will have to flip the electronic switch to activate the front end then shift into 4wd with the manual shift tcase. i am willing to do the extra step for the peace of mind and performance of the new tcase.

on another note: anybody swapping their own tranny? i got plenty of info as im putting mine in by myself. the hardest part is usually getting it out. but it was not that bad. i got it out by myself in about 6 hours. the hardest part was unbolting the torque converter. anyway, anybody feel free to drop my a line about tranny swap. i might not be anything more than an encouragement but will be glad to help.

i hope to be wheeling this weekend.
later,
gabe

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Sweet man!

Are you confident that simply turning the 4x4 swit on the dash will engage the front end?

Also, what's the word on the speedometer input? Will it work?

i am very confident that turning the 4wd knob will work it. with the tcase wirin harness dissconnected i could turn the drive shaft freely with my hand in all gears (i had my pop in law sit and hold the brake while i tested) then when he switched the 4wd switch i could hear the diaphram engage and the drive shaft was tight. so we jacked it up and i could turn the drive shaft and the front wheels were turning. i was so tickled.

it looks like the speedo gears will interchange but i actually havent put the gear into the new tcase. it looks like the same opening and teeth size and all that. i will know for sure in a day or 2. the guy at teh ford place thought there would be no problems in the conversion. in fact the service manager told me that in the concept phase of the 95+ styled explorers the first tcase was a manual shift in teh expedition sport models but they opted not to put it in for whatever reason. this guy really knew his stuff on explorers. he owns a sport trac.

anyway, i will have definite answers to tcase questions in a matter of days!

jason,
you thinking about doing this? ill of course let you know how it goes.
latro,
gabe

Really, a manual t-case in an explorer expedition? Well It looks like I'm about to bring their idea back to life! I am getting ready to get one, I'm getting a sweet deal on it.

Gabe, here's another question for you. If you put your truck in 4-low with the manual case but didn't turn the 4x4 switch would you have 2-low? Man that would be sweet for towing on the street.

Man, got some good info flying around on this thread!

Jason_25 Hope everything works out. What kind of deal are you getting on yours? If the tcase is still in the truck, is there anyway to know if it is a 54 or whatever? i'm going to run over to the grave yard today and get a few things and i might look around so i was curious.

BUCH--So what is the switch wired into? What did you do with your GEM module cause i'm assuming that the switch is wired into it right?

Interested in seeing how this all turns out!

Happy trails!!

i have not messed with the GEM. that is (from what i understand) send the signal to the front to engage. the switch is on the dash and i plan on keeping it there. it seems to be working fine so far.

from the research ive done. 91-94 explorers that have the man tcase are all 13-54 the rangers from 91-97 that have man tacase the same thing. ive heard tha bronco2s after 1990.5 have the 13-54 but have had no luck finding them. on the bottom of the tcase it is clearly marked "borg warner 13-50" or "....13-54" or whatever. i think it is nearest to the input at the tranny/extension housing, but i can make sure this afternoon.

jason, theoretically we could shift into low without engaging the front end AND we could tow in LOW!

im taking off work in a littel while to go and get my tranny and the install. i hope to at least get the basic instal done tonight.

junkyard guys will try and tell you that there is no difference between the 13-50 and the 13-54 DONT listen to them. the case is shorter, its light and the shafts and yokes hook up totally different. the price is almost double for a 13-54. i could have bought a dozen 13-50 from $100 - $250.

godd luck guys, ill have plenty of juice tommorro (i hope)
gaber

Sounds good. I just got back from the grave yard and i talked with a guy there who said that they have a boat load of them in stock. There were two 93-97 5 speed rangers sitting side by side with manual tcases. Man, i just about bought one. He said he'd sell me one for $250. Might think about it when i get my taxes back, but i don't know. If anyone is having a hard time finding one and really wants/needs one then let me know, maybe we can work something out about getting you one!

Happy trails!!

One of our best upgrades!

We changed ours out last summer from a Ranger. The best drivetrain investment since the 4.56's! Plus the ARB rocker switches almost literally snapped into where the electric 4x4 switches were. We now use that POS electric t-case as an added weight for our carport canopy! No offense but if you go muddin' and or get wet! get the manual T-case. Our Explorer already had the factory manual hubs so the original owner could tow it. Good luck.

update:
transmission and tcase went in with relatively no problems (about an hour with pa-in-law helping.) hardest part was aligning torque converter studs with fly wheel holes, once that was in it was cake. tonight ive got to resolve the linkage issue. i got the shifter with linkage from the explorer that the tcase came out of but im worried about the space between case and floor because i just put in the 2" body lift. i might have to fab a bracket and weld it on to lengthen the shifter end. it should be no problem though.

the speedo gear fit like a charm. its the same unit on the 44-05 and 13-54:):p :D

things left to do:
hook up wiring harness back to tranny
both drive shafts
exhaust back on
double check all bolts
fit shift linkage
put fender wells back on
go wheeling
sip a beer

ps i got some good points in this morning by leaving wife's vday presents on the kitchen table so i could work on the truck all night.

Gabe, it's great to hear that it went in well. So is it confirmed that your driveshafts will fit on to the new case, no problem? If so, I will order my case today.

jason,
sorry i missed your post yesterday.
YES it al fits perfectly. the speedo works and the drive shafts fit like a dream. the linkage is going to work too. i just had to move the shifter all the way back towards the console. there are instructions from the body lift (of course i threw them away a week ago, but a friend just put in a body lift on his f-150 and his instructions said to move back the shifter 2") i did a short test run but i am missing a bolt for the drive shaft so i didnt take it out of the yard. the tcase shifts firm and i could tell an imediatte difference as far as traction (i have old train tracks in my back yard and i climbed the side of the hill)

AWESOME!!! i cant wait to get the bolt on tonight and test run again then retorque and hopefully find somewhere to get dirty.

i was doing the tranny so that was the main part of my job but the tcase you should be able to swap out in a matter of a few hours. i actually wiggled under the truck with the case on my belly then pushed it up in place, after i got the spline lined up i was able to thread a bolt in the top and i was in business.

good luck...lets us know how it goes. i hope to have pics up next week.
gabe

Sweet man I went ahead and ordered the sucker anyway, it should be in next week!

No more crappy pulsing 4-auto!!!!

woooohoooo!

Cool, hope the best works out for both of you guys. Jason, where did you order yours from and about how much was it? What are you doing for the linkage and stuff like that?

Happy trails!!

I'm getting mine from a junkyard in seattle washington. It's from a 93 ranger with linkage with 56000 miles on it in good condition. It's $150 shipped to my door.

that is an amazing deal!

ive been meaning to ask you. where do you wheel at in newbern? i used to live about 2 hours north of you in murfreesboro and split time between greenville and the outer banks. you up for some wheeling this summer ill be in the outer banks for a week? i usually camp in Buxton at frisco woods.

The only places we have to wheel here are in the croatan national forest on service and hunting roads. If you get a little closer to the beach than I am things can get interesting because sand is thrown into the mix.

Oh yeah, and I'm definitely up for wheeling anytime!

Man, that is an amazing deal!! Where can i get ahold of this place. Be sure you get a picture of the UPS mans face when he rings your door bell carrying that baby in his arms cause he's going to be mad!!:frustrate

So when do you plan on getting yours put in?

Happy trails!!

jason,
i thought ide let you know about my little expereince this weekend. well thursday night i tested my truck and all was well, the front end engaged when i switched the knobb and i was stoked. saturday i was wiring my lights on my bumper so i had the battery disconnected.after i hooked everything up and started the truck everything seemed fine. later that day i headed to the lake to get muddy but when i switched onthe 4wd to engage the front end nothing happenned. no light and no front end engagement. so i went back home and thought about it. it seems that the computer still thought that it had the original tcase before and it engaged fine but when i had the battery off for a few hours it reset the computer and it did not sense the 4wd system...soooooo... i took the wiring harness and shift motor off of the old tcase and plugged it in to the existing plug and sure enough it was tricked into thinking the original case was there and the front end engaged. after this incident i definitely plan on hooking a switch to engage the front end directly. i hope to do this soon but until i do i have the old shift motor tied up in the frame rail so i can have 4wd. i thought ide give you heads up.
later,
gabe

Gabe, thanks for the extra info. If you check near the front of the engine compartment you will see little vacuum relays. I beleive one of them controls the front end. All you would need to do is wire a 12 volt lead to it. However, there are some wires that go into the diff too, so they may be the ones also. I'll try to figure it out at some point.

Looks like my plans have been delayed for a while, my tranny went out yesterday :frustrate

Back