Manual BW 1354 transfer case conversion | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Manual BW 1354 transfer case conversion

jrgaylor

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1985 BroncoII
I am converting from a electric to manual shift transfer case, I have already got a transfer case and shift linkage from a 91 ranger.I Have a few questions, first when I take off the original t/case will I lose transmission fluid from the automatic transmission? Second is there a diffrence in shift linkage between the ranger and explorer? Third if I have the t/case in 2Hi and the hubs locked in will this cause a problem? and lastly what if the ranger had a diffrent axle ratio and tire size?
Thanks Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

axle ratio means nothing to the differentials
not sure if there is a difference if it will leak or not or if the linkages are different
if the front hubs are locked, and the tcase is in 4x2, all it will do is accelerate wear on front end components as they are now spinning, and decrease gas mileage.... or, you could just unlock the front hubs....

I wasn't very clear in regards to the gear ratio and tire size,I was wondering about speedometer error.
Thanks
Joe

Your speedo might be off. That is no big deal. When you take your speedo cable off of the transfercase, you will see the little gear, it's plastic. That is what you will change if you need to change your speedo.

No you will not lose any fluid when you take them apart. The only place you will lose some fluid is when you take the gear out off the tcase for the speedo. It's not hard. Hardest part will probably be getting the linkage working and not in a bind. Good luck.

Happy trails!!

ps you'll need to get a different plate for your hump in the truck. You have to pull the carpet back and you'll see a plate bolted to the floor between the carpet and the floor board. It will probably be the same as the ranger you got it from given it is the same body style as your explorer

Great that was what I wanted to know.
Thanks
Joe

You will need Ford part number E9TZ-7479-B for the tranny plate ($24 new), a shift boot, and knob, the linkages should work as long as it is a 1354 linkage. I had one problem with mine because of the body lift. The linkage wouldn't slide enough to the left to clear the neutral position. Nothing a dremel wouldn't take care of.

Chris

Is this hard?

I have the 1354 auto transfercase also. I already converted the hubs from auto to man. I am considering the same auto to manual conversion. This is for my Ranger so all I would need is a manual transfercase, linkage, handels and shift boots?

Mr XLT

Dead Link Removed

I got all the parts for my conversion for my explorer from a ranger.
Joe

could i do this to my 95?

what other parts will i need. it is 2wd and i cam converting to 4x4 with sas.

I know i will need the back of the tranny.

will i need a new speedo wire?

I will have to cut a whole in the floor?

Yes you can do this to your 95. I don't know about a speedo wire.

You will not need to cut a hole in the floor. You'll have to pull back your carpet on the hump and you'll see a plate bolted to the floor, take that plate off and there is a huge hole. You'll have to get a new or used plate that has the cut out hole for the tcase. Then you'll have to cut your carpet to fit the shifter through etc.

Happy trails!!

is there any way of keeping my center console

i guess you have the console that goes all the way up to the bottom of the dash board? If so, then i doubt it, not if you want it to look right. I think it was Jefe who kept his when he mounted his knobs for his Atlas II, looked a little wierd, but it worked.

Happy trails!!

is the manual shifter alot better than the electric? also what year did the explorer come with manual shifter?

I guess i dont need the GEM or wiring harnesses for a manual shift?

Originally posted by jeffseal
I guess i dont need the GEM or wiring harnesses for a manual shift?

Exactly, it makes the 2wd to 4x4 conversion 50% easier and also less expensive.

so what trucks come with the manual shift t-case? and about how much will it run new? used?

also is the tail end and output shaft the same thing?

how hard is that to install, should i take that to a tranny place?

Back