Manual transmission possibilities

GBillerty

Reaction score
City, State
Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Sport 4WD
HI!

I'm about to swap from a A4LD to manual trans. I looked a the local junkyard but they don't have Explorers with manual transmission. But They have a lot of Rangers with 2.9L. What transmission could fit under my truck? My problem if to find a Ranger of Explorer with 4L and manual tranny.

Do a manual tranny of a Ranger with 2.9L or 3.0L will bolt on / fit under my X?

thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 4.0L has alot more TQ then either the 2.9L & 3.0L. Not sure if those even bolt up. If they did they wouldn't last too long since the X puts out alot more TQ. Get a rebuilt unit off of Ebay or a trans shop.

IS there are different kind of M5R1? I mean different buildsà

You need to be looking for the mazda-built M505, (i think that's the number). This is a direct bolt up to the 4.0L in our trucks. Good luck!

M5OD-R1 is the manual tranny. I would consider a auto swap, a c4 or c5 would be nice...i don't think they have od but can be found pretty easy. I'd say just keep your eye out...as far as I know there is no other manual tranny that'll bolt up.

I have a buddy who is in the process of desiging an adapter to fit a full size tranny on an expo...it can open a few new options up. Granted the main problem is that alot of full size trannys would suck the power more than ours...but there are a few that aren't tooooooooo bad haha

Good luck

I got too many bad experiences with my auto trans...

I do many forrest hunting and fishing trip and the last one were a nightmare! (4ALD over heated and all the ATF drained). I do a lot of towing ( ATV and heavy stuff for hunting) and I think a manual tranny would be better for my needs.

Maybe a C4 or C5 would be better fot that than the A4LD!

Still looking at the amount of work the A4LD to M5OD-R1 represent and still searching for the parts!

thank for the replies guys...

where in Canada do you live? If you live by Winnipeg, come down to Minnesota here and there's quite a few junk yards with mazda tranny parts

Too far from Minesota... I'm in Montreal

i have a 99 eddie bauer, i just dont like automatic to start with, what all would be involved in swapping a stick into a OBDII vehical? i was thiniing the tranny and EEC from an 4x4 EDGE ranger (4.0 SOHC?)or maybe from the new mustang with the sohc motor (electric fan control). all speculation. i'm not sure how all the bells and whistles from the eddie would respond to a different eec. if they are totaly independant or if they are integrated at all.

Back