Mirror upgrades | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mirror upgrades

Just saw someone on the Facebook page mounted the Chevy style tow mirrors up on their track. They fit pretty well it looks like.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So i spent the better part of three hours walking around salvage yards. What i found out is i think the newer 08-10 square mirrors would be the simplest to get a little more vision out of. probable 3-5 more square inches of mirror and are about a inch and a half wider.
I also have a broken 98-02 expedition mirror for ten dollars being pulled off for me which looks like it will fit and and have enough plastic to cover the gap and have to be trimmed back and maybe heated and tweaked. as they are the same basic shape as the explorer but 30% bigger or so. but i think its the same mounting as the 03-06 ones also.

well hear it is mind you its just taped on hear is what we are working with. i removed the mounting studs and trimmed the locating features
59BCAA48-9CA6-43E5-9199-BB5F5AB3E483_zpsbfeizq8n.jpg

000EC8EB-C38A-405D-AB49-32499AA89AF7_zpsp6rmghbj.jpg

0D61EA4E-2BA0-4988-82CE-B9EAC86D4F04_zpso5qz6btc.jpg

4AAF97E7-2802-46B9-B7BE-3EF37D5A0209_zpsuqwps2ol.jpg

I love the tape lol! ! ! That's something I would have done just in time for the woman to start laughing at me.

So the top and front line up, but it hangs too low and comes into the window. Is the mirror the right height? Or would it need to move up (and throw everything off)

New thought. Use the mirrors from a Lincoln Aviator (the explorer equivalent, not the navigator).

it lines up perty well, i might have it tiped forward to much as i have the mirror adjusted all the way in to see tight along side the truck and yeah tape works well for mocking it up.... and yeah ten dollars for a snapped off mirror was better then 75 for a good one to test fit. a little heat gun and trimming after these pics got it kinda close.

Does anyone know if the 06+ explorer mirrors will fit on an 01? I had a 94 ranger before and I changed them to 06+ ranger mirrors and loved them. Thinking about just buying another pair of the ranger mirrors and modding them to work. I was able to convert the wiring on a 94 so converting it on a 01 shouldn't be any worse. Any one have any pictures of upgraded mirrors on a ST.

Yes they'll fit.

Back