• Register Today It's free!

Manual transmisson problems

Duncansm96

Reaction score
City, State
Nokesville VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford explorer sport
It all started when I was in some fairly heavy traffic. I was driving my 1995 Explorer sport when I heard a loud grinding noise. I was slowing down to go over a speed bump. I think I was going to put it in second but I don't remember for sure. After that it wouldn't go into first or reverse. There was no grinding or noise, it just wouldn't go in. I had it towed home. I though it could be the clutch but usually it would go into gear with the engine off if that were the case. But I went ahead and pulled the clutch out anyways and it looked fine. When I had the transmission out of the vehicle it went in to gear fine.. odd. So I bought a clutch, pressure plate, and a slave cylinder. I put it all back together with the new parts and now it is really weird. When its in neutral, I let off the clutch pedal and it wants to go forward. when I put it in first or second, it feels really weird when I put it in gear and it acts as if it is in neutral when I let off the clutch pedal. 3rd and 4th act normal except it feels like its scraping when I put it in gear. Reverse totally locks the transmission.
Any thoughts?

Sounds like when you reattached the shifter, the stub wasn't in the same position as when you removed the shifter.

It sounds like you have a broken shift fork or a broken pin in the shift rails. Being totally locked up means more than one gear is engaged (interlocks aren't working). The only way to get to that is to drop the trans again and pull off the top cover. You should throw is a shifter bushing kit while you are in there for a few more bucks.

Check/replace the pilot bearing while you have the trans out.

Back