Matt's D44/9" plus 351w/np435/np205 swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Matt's D44/9" plus 351w/np435/np205 swap

Well I guess my last post got deleted so I will start this one. For those that dont know I bought a 1992 explorer xlt 4dr with all intenions of making it a trail beast. I got the explorer sitting now on jack stands and the frame awaiting me sandblasting it. My friend tj's dad was kind enough to give me a 1979 f-150 that was on a 1976 f-150 chassis. I went down to his house about a month back and tore the body off the chassis and brought the chassis up to my house to work on. Just last weekend we took the engine out and the axle off. I have been cleaning parts since then and have also tore the motor apart.

Im in the middle of waiting on parts right now. I got the 7 decgree c-bushings/trac bar bushings and the radius arm bushings. The wildhorses 5.5" blue rockcrawler springs are in as well. I should be receiving in the mail next week, the uppper spring buckets, upper and lower spring retainers.

I got some pictures as well. Mainly took some because everyone over at therangerstation believes that this is not an axle. The dana BOM is 603689 and all the websites i have been to have no listing for it. So if anybody can find out what year axle this is that'd help me out a lot. CLICK HERE

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looks like a good project u got there

ahaha! oh SNAP!

Looks like a great project. I'm building mine with a very similar setup as you. Can't wait for some more updates. :cool:

Yep that'd be the post. looks like I missed that one. Well I was thinking about changing the gears in the axle but the front has 4.10's so Im just gonna find a rear axle with 4.10's to match.

As of now installing the axle under the frame is at a stand-still. The upper coil buckets that I ordered from bronco graveyard are on back order. But I was able to get rotors and bearings this week to start putting the axle back together.

UpDaTe: I received my order from bronco graveyard. Buckets look awesome. I will start mocking axle up by friday. The rear 9" I got this weekend as well. It's off of a 78 Bronco. I need to pull the axle apart as soon as mocking the front d44 is done. Then I will strip frame down and paint or herculine it. I might use rubberized undercoating we'll see.

Back