• Register Today It's free!

Mice in 2002

Donystoy

Reaction score
City, State
Hamilton, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Eddie Bauer 4.6
Has anyone ever found out how the mice get into these vehicles. Three years ago it cost my insurance co. over $2000 to the strip the interior and repair the damage. The mice still ocasionaly get in when parked outside. I am tired of having to have traps always set in the vehicle all the time. I have checked the rear quarters inside and out and cannot find any entry point. I even removed the front air intake and found no openings. I have read where the outside air damper could be an entry point but it is only open when the vehicle is running and A/C is set ot use outside air.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

While I can't help you pinpoint the exact location they are using to get in, I can tell you that the little *******s can get in through amazingly small holes/gaps.

I do not envy you and hope you can get it sorted. Try doing a search. I recall reading some threads about mice.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

Good luck on finding the way in.Had a 85 Town car they got in somehow set traps all the time but never found their route.The dealer said to turn the a/c off before turning the car off to make sure the outside vents were closed.Made no diff. On your Explorer open the front doors and make sure the foam rubber filler is intact between the front fender and the inner fender liner.Sometimes they come loose or go missing after a repair.

not sure if they could get to this spot, but behind both tail lights, there are rubber flaps(or vents) that lead into the cabin. pull off your tail lights and see if they chewed through the flaps

Has anyone ever found out how the mice get into these vehicles. . The mice still ocasionaly get in when parked outside. I am tired of having to have traps always set in the vehicle all the time. .

Can't tell you the location where the mice are getting into your EX, but if they have been in there for some time and a lot of them running wild in there, you may want to "disinfect" your Ex real good. Mice carry the "Hantavirus Pulmonary" disease and you can get it thru inhaling bacteria from their urine and feces droppings. This disease can be deadly if untreated. Comes with breathing, flu like symptoms. Not trying to freak you out about this disease, but since the Ex is a relatively closed space and mice have been having a field day in there, just something to think about.

I've had some in my truck a few times and the only spot where I could see them entering is through a rubber gasket in the firewall opening. I would suggest filling any tiny possible hole you see with steel wool, they hate that stuff!

I don't know what you would have available around you, but in the states there is a product called fresh cab or something like that. You just put a couple bags in your vehicle and it does a good job of keeping mice out. Its not poisonous or anything, its just something that smells terrible to mice, but smells faintly like cedar to me. You might even be able to buy it online and have it shipped.

Mice

Thanks everyone for all the ideas. I re-checked the area behind the rear lights and did find one of the rubber flaps missing a bit. I hope I hit the jackpot and Steve is right on this one. I packed all the areas behind these flaps with steel wool. So far all the other spots mentioned seem to be fine. I watched Ice Road Truckers last week and learned about that virus spread by mice. Sure is scary.

Back