Michelin Defender LTX MS + Vintage Ranchero's + | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Michelin Defender LTX MS + Vintage Ranchero's +

The original V8 that I swapped in burnt a piston several years ago. I was pulling a heavy trailer up Monterey mountain and it started smoking and missing. Anyway I replaced that engine with a 100k used engine, not sure of it's history. It has used a little oil but seems to be getting worse. I still have the original engine that burnt the piston on an engine stand in my garage. I just don't have time to mess with rebuilding it at this time. I will keep putting oil in for now.

That's what I've been doing to put it off for a while. I plan to find out what it costs for a basic head rebuild for stock heads, late this year.

More than ten years and dry rot beginning to show it was time for new shoes. My Michelin Latitude Tour model was discontinued so I needed to do some research for replacements. When I bought the Latitude Tours in 2010, I was also considering the LTX M/S2 that was very highly regarded with some claims of lasting over 100,000 miles. Comparing both tread patterns I thought the Latitudes would be a better choice for my type of driving with a smoother and quieter ride. Latitude Tour is a P rated (passenger car) tire and the Defender LTX MS is an LT (light truck) tire with stiffer sidewalls. Long story short, and IMO, Defender LTX MS are just as quiet with comparable fuel economy after driving about 1000 miles. Haven't driven on wet roads yet, but wet road handling reviews are mostly stellar. As expected, the Defender rides slightly firmer due to the stiffer sidewalls using the same 35 PSI in all tires. This are the stock 235/70-16 size for my 3:73 XLS. What convinced me to pull the trigger was my Sam's Club Plus price of $655 installed including tax. I'll have alignment checked by a shop I've used once before that specializes in modified suspensions. (Lowered 2.5" front and 3" rear) 235/70-16 size is only available with raised white letters and thought I'd leave them facing out and be extra careful around curbs. Haven't had raised white letters on a vehicle since my 1979 Ranchero (my fourth) with BFG Radial T/A's.

View attachment 330498

View attachment 330499

View attachment 330500
Michelin defenders are the some of the best tires out there. I put them in my ex and love them

Back