Middle row seat unlatches when door unlocks | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Middle row seat unlatches when door unlocks

Matt1220

Reaction score
City, State
New Brunswick
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Has anyone experienced this? Is it a setting I'm missing somewhere? Whenever my Explorer has been parked for an amount of time (not exactly sure the length but several minutes at least), and I put my hand in the passenger side door (to unlock), the passenger side middle row seat unlatches... the electronic mechanism that activates when you press the button on the backrest actuates. I can hear the little motor and "click" the seatback falls forward. See the attached video.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has anyone experienced this? Is it a setting I'm missing somewhere? Whenever my Explorer has been parked for an amount of time (not exactly sure the length but several minutes at least), and I put my hand in the passenger side door (to unlock), the passenger side middle row seat unlatches... the electronic mechanism that activates when you press the button on the backrest actuates. I can hear the little motor and "click" the seatback falls forward. See the attached video.

This happened to me a couple times and that release button was sticky or stuck pressed in. When I pulled it out with my fingers to the normal unpressed position, it corrected the problem. I'm keeping an eye on it. If it happens again, I'm having the dealer inspect and replace that switch. I can tell in your video your button is stuck inside. Compare it to the other side and you'll see the difference! This scared the life out of me a few times, while I was driving or when opening the door. Like there was a person inside my vehicle I didn't know about! LOL I think the button is electronic and requires a light touch and it unlatches about a second or 2 later. I remember pressing it hard the first time using it and that's when it got stuck.

This happened to me a couple times and that release button was sticky or stuck pressed in. When I pulled it out with my fingers to the normal unpressed position, it corrected the problem. I'm keeping an eye on it. If it happens again, I'm having the dealer inspect and replace that switch. I can tell in your video your button is stuck inside. Compare it to the other side and you'll see the difference! This scared the life out of me a few times, while I was driving or when opening the door. Like there was a person inside my vehicle I didn't know about! LOL I think the button is electronic and requires a light touch and it unlatches about a second or 2 later. I remember pressing it hard the first time using it and that's when it got stuck.

I will have to do a few more tests to see if your theory works in my case. But from what I've seen, the act of simply sliding my hand between the door and the door handle (whether the door is locked or not) actuates the seat release. It's not a bump or a vibration. It really feels like there is an electronic signal sent to that motor during the act of unlocking the passenger door. And it won't do it right after I reset it. I have to leave the vehicle for a long time (I haven't timed it, but it's always been siting for more than an hour). If it was a matter of the button being stuck, then any bump while driving would release the seatback (obvious huge safety concern!!).

I will have to do a few more tests to see if your theory works in my case. But from what I've seen, the act of simply sliding my hand between the door and the door handle (whether the door is locked or not) actuates the seat release. It's not a bump or a vibration. It really feels like there is an electronic signal sent to that motor during the act of unlocking the passenger door. And it won't do it right after I reset it. I have to leave the vehicle for a long time (I haven't timed it, but it's always been siting for more than an hour). If it was a matter of the button being stuck, then any bump while driving would release the seatback (obvious huge safety concern!!).
Your button definitely looked pushed in and not in the normal position. It should not be flush with the black trim around the button. Mine consistently unlatched the seat multiple times until I returned the button to the normal position. So it was engaging contact intermittently and like yours would happen either upon unlock and entry, when the car woke up from sleep or when driving over bumpy roads.

Your button definitely looked pushed in and not in the normal position. It should not be flush with the black trim around the button. Mine consistently unlatched the seat multiple times until I returned the button to the normal position. So it was engaging contact intermittently and like yours would happen either upon unlock and entry, when the car woke up from sleep or when driving over bumpy roads.
You are absolutely right. I just walked to my car after work and checked both sides. The button is stuck. And your theory of it engaging when the car “wakes up” from an unlock is on point. I tried to pry it out a bit but it’s sticky. Service department next. Thank you for the insight!

You are absolutely right. I just walked to my car after work and checked both sides. The button is stuck. And your theory of it engaging when the car “wakes up” from an unlock is on point. I tried to pry it out a bit but it’s sticky. Service department next. Thank you for the insight!
I'm curious to find out what they do to fix it other than replace the button. BTW, we have identical vehicles. Nice choice!

I'm curious as to what the connection between the two items is.

Peter

Back